AKRON, Ohio -- The University of Akron women's soccer team wraps up its non-conference schedule Sunday when the Zips host Marshall at FirstEnergy Stadium - Cub Cadet Field. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m.
The Match up ...
• Akron enters the match with a record of 4-2-0, after winning at Cleveland State (2-0) last Friday and defeating Canisius (1-0) at home last Sunday. The wins were the first two shutouts of the season for the Zips.
• Marshall, of Conference USA, is 3-3-0 entering the weekend and plays at Kent State on Friday night prior to playing Akron on Sunday. The Thundering Herd has defeated Ball State (3-1), St. Francis (Pa.) (2-1) and Morehead State (2-0) this season.
• Akron and Marshall will be meeting for the sixth time overall in women's soccer. The Zips hold a 3-1-1 series advantage, but the two teams haven't met on the pitch since 2006. UA has won the last three meetings, including the last by a 1-0 result in Akron on Sept. 10, 2006.
• Akron's 4-2 record after six games is its best since the 2008 season when the Zips were 5-1 after six contests. In 2006, Akron started the season 7-0 and finished the year with a program-best 11 victories.
• The Zips are 11-3-1 in MAC East play since 2009 and have qualified for the last three MAC Tournaments.
Scouting the Thundering Herd…
• Erin Simmons and Chelsey Maiden lead Marshall in scoring with seven points each. Simmons has a team-high three goals and one assist, while Maiden has two goals and a team-best three assists. In goal, Lindsey Kerns has played all 543 minutes and has allowed 10 goals while making 27 saves. She has one shutout and a 1.66 goals against average. Marshall has scored 10 goals this season, while allowing 10 goals.
Zips to Watch ...
• Freshman forward Megan Waskowski leads the Zips in scoring with three goals and three assists for a team-high nine points. Waskowski was named to the all-tournament team at the Tennessee Lady Vol Classic after netting two assists against VCU. In addition, Waskwoski's older sister, Robin, is a senior midfielder for the Thundering Herd.
• Senior forward Ashley Hughes has appeared in 57 career matches for the Zips and is second on the team in scoring with two goals and two assists this year. She scored the game-winner last Sunday against Canisius in the 86th minute.
• Like Hughes, senior midfielder Katie Wise has plenty of experience as she has also appeared in 57 career matches. Wise has eight career goals to her credit.
• Junior midfielder Kelly DeNiro had a career-high three points on a goal and an assist at Cleveland State last Friday. DeNiro was also selected to the all-tournament team at Tennessee.
• Junior defender Amber Kern was a second team All-MAC selection in 2011 when she started all 18 games and helped the UA defense notch eight shutouts. Kern also had an assist against in Akron's season opener Morehead State.
• Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Alex Luevano-Harden posted the first two shutouts of her career last week and has only allowed three goals this season in 326 minutes of action. She had a career-best six saves in UA's win over Canisius. Luevano-Harden is also this week's Mid-American Conference Women's Soccer Defensive Player of the Week.
• Sophomore midfielder Karina Atkinson had an assist in both the Cleveland State and Canisius matches.
Zips in the Record Books ...
• Katie Wise is tied for 10th in UA history in career scoring with 17 points. Wise's eight career goals is eighth and her five game-winning goals is fifth.
• Kelly DeNiro's eight career assists ranks tied for fifth in Akron women's soccer history. DeNiro is also 10th in career shots (65).
• Ashley Hughes is tied for ninth with seven career goals and is tied for 10th with 17 career points. She is also tied for sixth with four career game-winning goals and eighth in career shots with 77.