AKRON, Ohio - After defeating Robert Morris this past Sunday for the first victory of the young 2014 season, the University of Akron women's soccer hosts No. 4 Virginia Tech on Friday night at FirstEnergy Stadium - Cub Cadet Field for their home opener.
Match #1: Akron Zips (1-1) vs. #4 Virginia Tech (2-0)
Date/Time: Aug. 29, 2014 • 7:00 p.m. ET
Venue: FirstEnergy Stadium - Cub Cadet Field • Akron, Ohio
Live Stats: GoZips.com • Video Stream: GoZips.com
Tracking the Zips
• Live stats will be available for this weekend's first match at GoZips.com.
• Additionally, a free video stream will be available, courtesy of Lobos Athletics, at GoLobos.com.
• Follow @ZipsWSoc on Twitter for updates during the match as well as insider access throughout the season.
Split in Steel City
• The Zips took on both Pittsburgh and Robert Morris this past weekend as they opened up their season in Pittsburgh and took part in the Steel City Classic tournament with those two squads and local Duquesne. Akron fell to the Panthers on Friday night, 3-0, but got their first victory of 2014 on Sunday as they defeated the Colonials 2-1.
• In the loss, the Zips took just one shot in the 90 minutes of regulation as Pittsburgh paced the length of the field and controlled the clock.
• In the win, Akron fell behind early in the 15th minute but Lani Smith tied it up just five minutes later with Holly Ohradzansky tacking on the go-ahead goal in the 44th as the Zips held on.
• The Zips return just three full-time starters from a team that scored just 21 goals in 19 games last season on their way to a 5-11-3 record.
• Though Klaire Adee started both games for Akron in the net, Alex Luevano-Harden played the second half of the Pittsburgh matchup and allowed no goals while recording two saves.
• Senior captain Lani Smith has returned for her final year at UA, scoring the team's first goal of the season against RMU. Smith scored nine of the team's 21 goals a year ago and will be the biggest factor in the Zips front line attack this season.
About Virginia Tech
• The Hokies made it to the College Cup in 2013, falling just short of the title game after losing to Florida State in their semifinal matchup, 3-2. The Seminoles went on to lose to UCLA in the champsionship match, 1-0.
• Entering the 2014 campaign with the No. 5 rank in the NSCAA Preseason Poll, Virginia Tech has been bumped up to No. 4 this past week as they downed VCU in their home opener 6-0 and defeated Davidson on the road, 4-0.
• As impressive as ten goals in two games is for the Hokies, they are feared in the open field as eight individual players scored in their two matches, with only two scoring twice.
• With two 11-goal scorers to lead the team last season, Virginia Tech returns one of the duo in Murielle Tiernan, who had three shots but no goals in the team's first two games. Ashley Meier (9G, 2 A) and Katie Yensen (7 G, 5 A) also return for the Hokies.
• Home opener blackout - Wear black!
• Free pregame BBQ for students with Zip Card inside the stadium starting at 6 p.m. (limited quantity)
• Free women's soccer blackout t-shirts for the first 250 students - Claim at the marketing table at Gate 1
• Back to School Day - Free admission for all elementary school kids 12 & under
• Schedule poster and panorama poster giveaways