Tennis Shuts Out Oakland in Season Opener, Faces Michigan State Sunday
BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. – The University of Akron tennis team opened the dual-match portion of its schedule by making short work of Oakland by a count of 7-0 on Saturday night at Bloomfield Tennis and Fitness Center.
Akron (1-0) swept doubles play to claim the early one-point advantage and posted straight-set wins at all six singles positions, allowing Oakland (0-3) to score no more than two points in any set.
In doubles play, the No. 1 UA pair of Zara Harutyunyan and Prang Pantusart topped Caitlin Young and Grace Keating 8-0, while twins Angelika Jogasuria and Angelina Jogasuria took care of Karen Karoub and Demi Georgakopoulus 8-1 an No. 2, and Natalia Kuvakina and Ksenia Berestetska defeated Brittany Baxter and Caryn Kimmel 8-0 at No. 3.
On the singles court, Harutyunyan got Young 6-0, 6-1 at No. 1, Olga Shkundina defeated Karoub 6-1, 6-1 at No. 2, Pantusart took care of Keating 6-2, 6-0 at No. 3, Angelika Jogasuria bested Georgakopoulos at No. 4, 6-2, 6-1, Berestetska was the winner at No. 5 over Baxter, 6-1, 6-1, and Kuvakina completed the shutout with a 6-0, 6-0 victory at No. 6 over Kimmel.
Harutyunyan's pair of victories versus the Grizzlies gave her 201 combined wins in her collegiate career (108 singles, 93 doubles).
"We played well tonight," second-year Akron head coach Brandon Padgett said. "It's nice to start the season off with a win. Hopefully, we can carry this momentum into tomorrow's match against Michigan State."
UA faces a tight turnaround as it competes at Michigan State (1-0) tomorrow at noon ET. The Zips have topped the Big Ten Conference Spartans on the road in each of the previous two seasons.
Akron 7, Oakland 0
1. Prang Pantusart/Zara Harutyunyan (Akron) def. Caitlin Young/Grace Keating (Oakland) 8-0
2. Angelika Jogasuria/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Karen Karoub/Demi Georgakopoulos (Oakland) 8-1
3. Natalia Kuvakina/Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Brittany Baxter/Caryn Kimmel (Oakland) 8-0
1. Zara Harutyunyan (Akron) def. Caitlin Young (Oakland) 6-0, 6-1
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Karen Karoub (Oakland) 6-1, 6-1
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Grace Keating (Oakland) 6-2, 6-0
4. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) def. Demi Georgakopoulos (Oakland) 6-2, 6-1
5. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Brittany Baxter (Oakland) 6-1, 6-1
6. Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) def. Caryn Kimmel (Oakland) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish:
Doubles – 3, 1, 2
Singles – 2, 1, 5, 3, 4, 6
Akron – 1-0
Oakland – 0-3