EAST LANSING, Mich. – For the third-consecutive season, the Akron tennis team has posted a road victory over Big Ten opponent Michigan State. This year's decision came by a score of 5-2 on Sunday afternoon at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility.
After giving up the doubles point, the Zips rallied in singles to take a 4-1 lead en route to claiming their second win in as many days and improving their early-season record to 2-0.
Michigan State (1-1) took a hard-fought doubles point. After the Spartans pair of Dana Guentert and Hilary Hager posted an 8-4 win at No. 3 over Natalia Kuvakina and Ksenia Berestetska, the Zips duo of Zara Harutyunyan and Prang Pantusart won at No. 1, 8-5, over Nicole Herzog and Katarina Lingl. MSU's Michaela Silesova and Julianne Gruber claimed the early match lead with a 9-8 (0) victory at No. 2 over twins Angelika Jogasuria and Angelina Jogasuria.
Akron took control in singles, winning in order at flight 1, 6, 5 and 3. At No. 1, Harutyunyan took care of Herzog 6-2, 6-2, while Kuvakina got Hager 6-2, 6-4 at No. 6, Berestetska defeated Gruber 6-3, 6-3 at No. 5 and Pantusart downed Silesova 3-6, 6-2, 6-1 at No. 3.
Lingl scored Michigan State's final point of the day at No. 4 singles, getting the best of Angelika Jogasuria, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2. Olga Shkundina closed out the contest with a 6-7 (5), 7-5, 1-0 (7) victory at No. 2 over Olga Chernova.
"We hung in for the win, but today was not our best," second-year Akron head coach Brandon Padgett said. "We must clean up our play as we move forward with the season. We have almost two weeks to improve before our next match, which is unusual during the spring season, and we will use the time wisely."
UA, which defeated Oakland 7-0 on Saturday night in its season opener, is idle until a Feb. 4 doubleheader at home versus IUPUI (10 a.m.) and Wright State (2 p.m.) at its indoor home of LaTuchie Tennis Center in nearby Stow, Ohio.
Akron 5, Michigan State 2
1. Zara Harutyunyan/Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Nicole Herzog/Katarina Lingl (MSU) 8-5
2. Michaela Silesova/Julianne Gruber (MSU) def. Angelika Jogasuria/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) 9-8 (0)
3. Dana Guentert/Hilary Hager (MSU) def. Natalia Kuvakina/Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) 8-4
1. Zara Harutyunyan (Akron) def. Nicole Herzog (MSU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Olga Chernova (MSU) 6-7 (5), 7-5, 1-0 (7)
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Michaela Silesova (MSU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Katarina Lingl (MSU) def. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
5. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Julianne Gruber (MSU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) def. Hilary Hager (MSU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish:
Doubles – 3, 1, 2
Singles – 1, 6, 5, 3, 4, 2
Akron – 2-0
Michigan State – 1-1