MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – The University of Akron tennis team won its third contest in a two-day period and posted its second-straight shutout with a 7-0 win at West Virgina on Sunday afternoon at the Ridgeview Racquet Club. The Zips, who defeated IUPUI 6-1 and Wright State 7-0 at home on Saturday, improved to 5-0 this season.
West Virginia (0-4) competed one player short and was forced to forfeited the No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles match.
Despite going up against a short-handed lineup, UA had to earn another hard-fought doubles point. Zara Harutyunyan and Prang Pantusart were 9-7 victors at No. 1, but Angelika Jogasuria and Angelina Jogasuria lost 8-7 (2) at No. 2.
The Zips posted straight-set wins at all six singles flights to complete their third shutout in five dual matches this year.
"Singles today was our best overall effort of the season," second-year Akron head coach Brandon Padgett said. "I am very pleased with the level of focus from start to finish. Doubles, however, continues to be an area of concern. We will be making some adjustments as we move forward this coming week."
The Zips play host to New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) at LaTuchie Tennis Center on Saturday at 4 p.m. ET, then compete at Cleveland State at 11 a.m. on Sunday and host Youngstown State that same day at 5 p.m.
1. Zara Harutyunyan/Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Emily Mathis/Mary Chupa (WVU) 9-7
2. Veronica Cardenas/Ikttesh Chahal (WVU) def. Angelika Jogasuria/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) 8-7 (2)
3. Akron won by default
1. Zara Harutyunyan (Akron) def. Emily Mathis (WVU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Mary Chupa (WVU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Ikttesh Chahal (WVU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Veronica Cardenas (WVU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) def. Catie Wickline (WVU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Akron won by default
Order of finish:
Doubles – 3, 1, 2
Singles – 6, 2, 1, 3, 4, 5
Akron – 5-0
West Virginia – 0-4