AKRON, Ohio – The University of Akron tennis team improved its dual-match record to 6-0 with a 6-1 victory over New Jersey Institute of Technology on Saturday night at LaTuchie Tennis Center.
The Zips, who are also 3-0 at home this season, continue a busy weekend of competition tomorrow at Cleveland State at 11 a.m. ET and then play host to Youngstown State at 5 p.m. at LaTuchie Tennis Center.
The loss snapped a four-match win streak for NJIT (4-2), which was the Great West Conference champion in 2011.
Akron captured the doubles point for the fourth-straight match, with an easy 8-2 win at No. 1 by Prang Pantusart and Olga Shkundina over Nina Mayevska and Jana Luste, and an 8-1 victory at No. 2 by Angelika Jogasuria and Angelina Jogasuria versus Ksenia Kuzmenko and Hennelore MacDonald.
NJIT evened the score at 1-all, when UA's Natalia Kuvakina retired due to illness at the No. 6 singles spot. She trailed Martina Tripcovici 3-0 in the first set.
But the Highlanders' scoring would end there as UA won in straight sets at Nos. 1, 2, 3, and 5 singles. Ksenia Berestetska claimed a three-set win at No. 4, outlasting Mayevska 3-6, 6-2, 7-5.
Today's contest was scheduled to get underway at 4 p.m., but started about two hours late due to NJIT's delayed travel due to a winter storm in the region.
Akron 6, NJIT 1
1. Prang Pantusart/Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Nina Mayevska/Jana Luste (NJIT) 8-2
2. Angelika Jogasuria/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Ksenia Kuzmenko/Hennelore MacDonald (NJIT) 8-1
3. Ksenia Berestetska/Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) def. Monika Graff/Carolina Zanotta (NJIT) 8-5
1. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Ksenia Kuzmenko (NJIT) 6-1, 6-2
2. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Jana Luste (NJIT) 6-2, 6-1
3. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) def. Monika Graff (NJIT) 6-3, 6-4
4. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Nina Mayevska (NJIT) 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
5. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Carolina Zanotta (NJIT) 6-2, 6-1
6. Martina Tripcovici (NJIT) def. Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) 3-0, ret.
Order of finish:
Doubles – 1, 2, 3
Singles – 6, 1, 2, 5, 3, 4
Akron – 6-0
NJIT – 4-2