AKRON, Ohio – Freshman Olga Shkundina posted a three-set win at No. 3 singles to lift the Akron tennis team to a 4-3 victory over Big East opponent Louisville on Friday afternoon at LaTuchie Tennis Center.
Shkundina, who turned age 16 in January, got the best of Manuela Velasquez 2-6, 6-2, 6-2 to earn match point and help the Zips improve to 9-0 in dual-match play this season.
After taking a 1-0 match lead by earning a hard-fought doubles point, Akron improved its lead to 2-0 thanks to a 6-2, 6-0 win by Angelina Jogasuria over Mandy Brown at No. 4 singles, but Louisville (3-4) would even the score at 2-all with wins in order at No. 6 and 5.
Zara Harutyunyan made the score 3-2 in favor of UA with a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 1 singles over Julia Fellerhoff, and set up Shkundina's heroics at the third flight.
With match point already decided, Rebecca Shine defeated Prang Pantusart 6-4, 1-6, 6-3 at No. 2 singles to create the final 4-3 margin.
In doubles, Akron scored comeback victories at No. 1 and 3 to earn the early one-point advantage for the sixth-straight time.
After trailing 4-3 at No. 1, Harutyunyan and Pantusart claimed an 8-5 decision over Velasquez and Amelia Harris, while at No. 3 after being down 4-1, Shkundina and Natalia Kuvakina won 8-5 over Miller and Stefanie Villajuan. The Jogasuria sisters lost 9-8 (5) at No. 2 to Shine and Fellerhoff.
The Zips have now defeated the Cardinals in each of the last three seasons, by 4-3 scores each time, and lead the all-time series 4-1.
Akron plays its third contest in a four-match homestand on Sunday when Big East opponent Cincinnati (1-7) visits LaTuchie Tennis Center at 10 a.m. ET.
Akron 4, Louisville 3
1. Zara Harutyunyan/Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Amelia Harris/Manuela Velasquez (UL) 8-5
2. Rebecca Shine/Julia Fellerhoff (UL) def. Angelika Jogasuria/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) 9-8 (5)
3. Olga Shkundina/Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) Sarah Miller/Stefanie Villajuan (UL) 8-5
1. Zara Harutyunyan (Akron) def. Julia Fellerhoff (UL) 6-3, 6-1
2. Rebecca Shine (UL) def. Prang Pantusart (Akron) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
3. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Manuela Velasquez (UL) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Mandy Brown (UL) 6-2, 6-0
5. Gabrielle Duncan (UL) def. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 6-2, 7-5
6. Sarah Miller (UL) def. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish:
Doubles – 1, 2, 3
Singles – 4, 6, 5, 1, 3, 2
Akron – 9-0
Louisville – 3-4