Tennis Shuts Out Cincinnati, Improves to 10-0
AKRON, Ohio – The Akron tennis team used a sweep of the doubles courts and straight-set wins at all six singles flights to top visiting Cincinnati 7-0 on Sunday at LaTuchie Tennis Center. The Zips, who close out a four-match homestand on Tuesday at 1 p.m. ET when SEC opponent Kentucky (8-1) comes to town, improved their overall record to 10-0.
UA got off to a slow start in doubles, but rallied to earn the early one-point lead and had little trouble with Cincinnati (1-8) during the singles component of the day.
The Zips clinched doubles with an 8-2 win by Olga Shkundina and Natalia Kuvakina over Carly Wilson and Sierra Sullivan at No. 3, and an 8-4 decision by Zara Harutyunyan and Prang Pantusart versus Jasmine Lee and Ashleigh Witte at No. 1. Akron led from start to finish at No. 3 while at No. 1 it trailed 1-2 before taking control. At No. 2, Angelika Jogasuria and Angelina Jogasuria teamed up to top Safiyya Ismail and Kristina Georgieva, 8-4. The Jogasuria sisters trailed 1-3 and were tied at 3-all and 4-all.
In singles, it was Harutyunyan over Lee 6-2, 6-0 at No. 1, Shkundina over Georgieva 6-2, 6-4 at No. 2, Pantusart over Witte 6-1, 6-3 at No. 3, Angelina Jogasuria over Sullivan 6-3, 6-3 at No. 4, Ksenia Berestetska over Ismail 6-2, 6-1 at No. 5, and Kuvakina over Wilson 6-0, 6-0 at No. 6.
Zips Notebook: The win marked the Zips' sixth shutout of the season and third in four matches ... UA has won the doubles point in seven-straight contests ... The squad's 10-0 start to the season matches the beginning of the 2010 campaign when it opening the schedule 15-0. The Zips began the 2011 season 6-0.
Akron 7, Cincinnati 0
1. Zara Harutyunyan/Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Jasmine Lee/Ashleigh Witte (UC) 8-4
2. Angelika Jogasuria/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Safiyya Ismail/Kristina Georgieva (UC) 8-4
3. Olga Shkundina/Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) def. Carly Wilson/Sierra Sullivan (UC) 8-2
1. Zara Harutyunyan (Akron) def. Jasmine Lee (UC) 6-2, 6-0
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Kristina Georgieva (UC) 6-2, 6-4
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Ashleigh Witte (UC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Sierra Sullivan (UC) 6-3, 6-3
5. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Safiyya Ismail (UC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) def. Carly Wilson (UC) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish:
Doubles – 3, 1, 2
Singles – 6, 3, 1, 4, 2, 5
Akron – 10-0
Cincinnati – 1-8