Tennis Takes Down Nationally-Ranked Dartmouth, 6-1
HANOVER, N.H. – The University of Akron tennis team improved its record in dual-match play to 12-0 with a 6-1 victory over 56th-ranked Dartmouth on Friday night. The win marked the program's first upset of a ranked Division-I opponent.
The Zips jumped out to a match-clinching 4-0 lead after winning the doubles point with a positive decision at all three flights and then posting straight-set wins in order at Nos. 5, 3 and 6 singles.
At No. 5, Angelika Jogasuria defeated Rachel Decker-Sadowski 6-4, 6-0, while Prang Pantusart took care of Sabrina Stewart at No. 3, 6-2, 6-1, and Ksenia Berestetska defeated Shelley Carpeni 6-2, 6-1 at No. 6.
Dartmouth (3-6), the defending Ivy League champion, claimed its lone point with a three-set win at No. 1 singles from Sarah Leonard over Zara Harutyunyan, 0-6, 7-5, 10-8, but UA closed things out with a 5-7, 6-1, 10-5 win at No. 4 by Angelina Jogasuria over Theresa Smith and a 7-6 (4), 6-3 victory by Olga Shkundina at No. 2 against Akiko Okuda.
In doubles, Harutyunyan and Pantusart won 8-2 at No. 1 over Okuda and Smith, Angelika Jogasuria and Natalia Kuvakina were 8-3 victors at No. 2 over Carpeni and Decker-Sadowski, and Angelina Jogasuria and Olga Shkundina claimed an 8-7 (3) victory at No. 3 over Leonard and Jeri Reichel.
"This is an excellent win for our program," second-year Akron head coach Brandon Padgett said. "I could not be more proud of the effort from start to finish. We made a bold change in doubles and it paid off for us in a huge way. I hope we can continue this kind of play when we take on Brown, another nationally-ranked team, on Sunday."
Akron travels to Providence, R.I., to face off against 44th-ranked Brown on Sunday at 11 a.m. ET.
Zips Notebook: It was UA's first win over a ranked Division-I opponent ... the program defeated 15th-ranked Division-III Chicago 7-2 on March 20, 2007 ... Akron and Dartmouth were facing off on the tennis court for the first time ... Zara Harutyunyan had a streak of 10-straight dual-match singles wins snapped ... the Zips have won the doubles point in nine of their last 10 matches and 10 times total this season ... UA, competing on the road for the first time since a 7-0 win at Cleveland State on Feb. 12, improved to 5-0 in away matches this season.
Akron 6, No. 56 Dartmouth 1
1. Zara Harutyunyan/Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Akiko Okuda/Theresa Smith (Dartmouth) 8-2
2. Angelika Jogasuria/Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) def. Shelley Carpeni/Rachel Decker-Sadowski (Dartmouth) 8-3
3. Angelina Jogasuria/Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Sarah Leonard/Jeri Reichel (Dartmouth) 8-7 (3)
1. Sarah Leonard (Dartmouth) def. Zara Harutyunyan (Akron) 0-6, 7-5, 10-8
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Akiko Okuda (Dartmouth) 7-6 (4), 6-3
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Sabrina Stewart (Dartmouth) 6-2, 6-1
4. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Theresa Smith (Dartmouth) 5-7, 6-1, 10-5
5. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) def. Rachel Decker-Sadowski (Dartmouth) 6-4, 6-0
6. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Shelley Carpeni (Dartmouth) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish:
Doubles – 1, 2, 3
Singles – 5, 3, 6, 1, 4, 2
Akron – 12-0
Dartmouth – 3-6