Tennis Edged 4-3 at Nationally-Ranked Brown
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The University of Akron tennis team gave up its first match of the season on Sunday afternoon, falling 4-3 at 44th-ranked Brown. After defeating 56th-ranked Dartmouth 6-1 on the road on Friday night, the Zips are 12-1 in dual-match play this year.
It was Laura Wiley's 6-0, 6-3 win at No. 6 singles that clinched the contest for Brown (8-3), which came back from a 3-1 deficit in the team scoring.
Akron won the doubles point with an 8-3 victory at No. 1 by Zara Harutyunyan and Prang Pantusart over Cassandra Herzberg and Jessica Harrow, and an 8-6 decision at No. 3 by Angelina Jogasuria and Olga Shkundina versus Sarah Kandath and Nikita Uberoi, but Brown quickly evened the tally with a 6-3, 6-0 win by Harrow over Pantusart at No. 3 singles.
The Zips then jumped ahead, claiming consecutive decisions at No. 2 and 4 singles. Shkundina won her first set at No. 2 over Herzberg 6-2 and led 5-2 in the second before her opponent retired due to illness, and at No. 4 Angelina Jogasuria defeated Sara Kandath 6-2, 7-5.
The Bears evened it up again, with wins at No. 5 and 1 singles. In the fifth flight, it was Julie Flanzer over Angelika Jogasuria 6-1, 6-1 and at the top flight Misia Krasowski downed Harutyunyan 6-7 (4), 6-0, 7-5. It was Harutyunyan's second-straight singles loss.
"We led for over three hours, but in the end that doesn't matter much," second-year Akron head coach Brandon Padgett said. "We came so close to winning such an enormous match for our program, and let it slip away. You cannot shy away from this type of competition. We will learn from this, and focus on starting another streak like the one that just ended."
Akron is 12-1 this season. The team is idle until March 11 and 12 when it travels west to face off against New Mexico and Northern Arizona, respectively, in Flagstaff, Ariz.
Zips Notebook: UA lost to Brown 6-1 last season when the Bears were ranked No. 53 ... those are the only two meetings between the two programs on the tennis court ... Akron was facing its second nationally-ranked opponent in three days (6-1 win at No. 56 Dartmouth on Friday) ... Akron's match at Brown was its second-straight on the road and is part of a four-match road swing ... the Zips have won the doubles point in 11 of 13 matches this season and in 10 of their last 11 outings ... freshman Olga Shkundina, who turned 16 in January, has won 13-straight singles matches ... the pair of Zara Harutyunyan and Prang Pantusart have won 11-straight No. 1 doubles contests.
No. 44 Brown 4, Akron 3
1. Zara Harutyunyan/Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Cassandra Herzberg/Jessica Harrow (Brown) 8-3
2. Misia Krasowski/Ariel Caldwell (Brown) def. Angelika Jogasuria/Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) 8-4
3. Angelina Jogasuria/Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Sarah Kandath/Nikita Uberoi (Brown) 8-6
1. Misia Krasowski (Brown) def. Zara Harutyunyan (Akron) 6-7 (4), 6-0, 7-5
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Cassandra Herzberg (Brown) 6-2, 5-2 retired
3. Jessica Harrow (Brown) def. Prang Pantusart (Akron) 6-3, 6-0
4. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Sarah Kandath (Brown) 6-2, 7-5
5. Julie Flanzer (Brown) def. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 6-1, 6-1
6. Laura Wiley (Brown) def. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) 6-0, 6-3
Order of finish:
Doubles – 2, 1, 3
Singles – 3, 2, 4, 5, 1, 6
Akron – 12-1
Brown – 8-3