Tennis Clipped by Miami (Ohio) 4-3 in League Opener
AKRON, Ohio – The University of Akron tennis team gave up a 4-3 decision to Miami (Ohio) in the Mid-American Conference opener for both squads on Friday afternoon outdoors at Springside Racquet Club.
Akron (14-2, 0-1 MAC) led 3-2 thanks to a sweep of the doubles point and easy straight-set wins in order at No. 3 and 2 singles, but Miami (6-9, 1-0 MAC) claimed three-set victories at No. 4 and 6 singles to be comeback winners of a contest which took over four hours to complete.
At No. 4 singles, it was Christiana Raymond over Angelina Jogasuria 2-6, 7-6 (1), 6-1. After the decisive first-set win Jogasuria led 4-1 and 5-4 in the second, but could not close it out and allowed Raymond to force a third set.
At No. 6 singles, Christine Guerrazzi downed Ksenia Berestetska 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (4). After pushing it to a third set, Berestetska led 3-1 and 5-4 before giving up the match point.
UA won at all three doubles positions, clinching the early point with an 8-5 win at No. 1 by Zara Harutyunyan and Prang Pantusart over Stephanie Danesis and Alix Thurman. The pair of Harutyunyan and Pantusart is ranked 80th nationally.
Angelina Jogasuria and Olga Shkundina topped Christiana Raymond and Nimisha Mohan 8-0 at No. 3 as did Angelika Jogasuria and Natalia Kuvakina at No. 2 versus Riekie Honiball and Christine Guerrazzi, 8-7 (4)
In singles, Shkundina defeated Honiball 6-1, 6-2 at No. 2, and Pantusart got the best of Mohan 6-1, 6-1 at No. 3.
For the RedHawks, it was their 26th-straight regular-season conference win, while the Zips dropped to 7-1 at home this season.
UA concludes a two-match homestand on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET versus Ball State (5-8, 0-1 MAC). The match will be played indoors at LaTuchie Tennis Center in nearby Stow. BSU lost 6-1 today at Buffalo.
Zips Notebook: Akron is 2-1 this season when playing outdoors and has done so in three-consecutive outings ... UA's No. 1 doubles team of Zara Harutyunyan and Prang Pantusart improved to 14-0 this season ... the Zips are 1-21 all-time versus the RedHawks on the tennis court, with the lone win coming in last season's MAC tournament title contest by a score of 4-3.
Miami (Ohio) 4, Akron 3
1. (80) Zara Harutyunyan/Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Stephanie Danesis/Alix Thurman (Miami) 8-5
2. Angelika Jogasuria/Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) def. Riekie Honiball/Christine Guerrazzi (Miami) 8-7 (4)
3. Angelina Jogasuria/Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Christiana Raymond/Nimisha Mohan (Miami) 8-0
1. Stephanie Danesis (Miami) def. Zara Harutyunyan (Akron) 6-3, 6-3
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Riekie Honiball (Miami) 6-1, 6-2
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Nimisha Mohan (Miami) 6-1, 6-1
4. Christiana Raymond (Miami) def. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) 2-6, 7-6 (1), 6-1
5. Alix Thurman (Miami) def. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 6-1, 6-4
6. Christine Guerrazzi (Miami) def. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (4)
Order of finish:
Doubles – 3, 1, 2
Singles – 3, 5, 2, 1, 4, 6
Akron – 14-2, 0-1 MAC
Miami (Ohio) – 6-9, 1-0 MAC