Tennis Downs Ball State 7-0 to Even League Record
AKRON, Ohio – The University of Akron tennis team closed out the opening weekend of Mid-American Conference play with a 7-0 defeat of Ball State on Saturday indoors at LaTuchie Tennis Center.
Akron (15-2, 1-1 MAC) began the afternoon with a victory at all three doubles flights and claimed straight-set wins at each singles position.
In doubles, Zara Harutyunyan and Prang Pantusart, ranked 80th nationally, topped Courtney Wild and Kristel Sanders 8-0 at No. 1, while Angelika Jogasuria and Natalia Kuvakina downed Ashlyn Rang and Sarah Hebble 8-2 at No. 2, and Angelina Jogasuria and Olga Shkundina disposed of Dena Boulieris and Lauren Pickrel 8-2 at No. 3. UA's wins came in 1-2-3 order.
The Zips, who improved to 8-1 at home this season, faced little resistance on the singles court as well. It was Harutyunyan over Wild 6-1, 6-4 at No. 1, Shkundina over Sanders 6-1, 6-3 at No. 2, Pantusart over Kylee Johnson 6-0, 6-4 at No. 3, Kuvakina over Rang 7-5, 6-2 at No. 4, Angelina Jogasuria over Hebble 6-4, 6-2 at No. 5, and Ksenia Berestetska over Pickrel 6-1, 7-5 at No. 6.
Ball State's record dropped to 5-9 overall and 0-2 in the league standings.
The Zips continue conference competition on the road next weekend, at Western Michigan (March 30) and Bowling Green (March 31).
Zips Notebook: Today marked Akron's fourth-straight victory over Ball State and improved its all-time record versus the Cardinals to 6-17. The Zips had lost 16-consecutive contests to BSU prior to a 4-3 win on April 3, 2009 in Muncie, Ind. ... UA has shut out seven opponents this season and today marked its first time doing so versus BSU ... the Zips have won the doubles point in six-straight and 15 of 17 overall matches this season ... 16-year-old freshman Olga Shkundina improved to 15-1 in dual-match singles play this season (2-0 versus MAC foes) ... the squad's first doubles team of Zara Harutyunyan and Prang Pantusart improved to 15-0 in dual play this season.
Akron 7, Ball State 0
1. Zara Harutyunyan/Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Courtney Wild/Kristel Sanders (BSU) 8-0
2. Angelika Jogasuria/Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) def. Ashlyn Rang/Sarah Hebble (BSU) 8-2
3. Angelina Jogasuria/Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Dena Boulieris/Lauren Pickrel (BSU) 8-2
1. Zara Harutyunyan (Akron) def. Courtney Wild (BSU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Kristel Sanders (BSU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Kylee Johnson (BSU) 6-0, 6-4
4. Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) def. Ashlyn Rang (BSU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Sarah Hebble (BSU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Lauren Pickrel (BSU) 6-1, 7-5
Order of finish:
Doubles – 1, 2, 3
Singles – 2, 3, 5, 1, 4, 5
Akron – 15-2, 1-1 MAC
Ball State – 5-9, 0-2 MAC