Tennis Tops Western Michigan 5-2 in First of Two Weekend Road Outings
KALAMAZOO, Mich. – The University of Akron tennis team posted a 5-2 comeback win at Western Michigan and earned its second-straight victory against Mid-American Conference competition on Friday afternoon indoors at Western Hills Athletic Club.
After giving up the doubles point, the Zips (16-2, 2-1 MAC) won five of six singles flights to top the Broncos (12-8, 1-1 MAC) for the third-consecutive time.
The No. 1 UA doubles pair of Zara Harutyunyan and Prang Pantusart won 8-5 over April Kerr and Nini Sujashvili, but Angelika Jogasuria and Natalia Kuvakina lost 9-8 (5) to Maria Nivia and Jill Pastunink at No. 2, as did Olga Shkundina and Angelina Jogasuria against Kathleen Hawkins and Caroline Aleck at No. 3, 8-6.
UA evened the score thanks to a 6-2, 6-2 win by Harutyunyan at No. 1 singles over Sujashvili, but WMU went up 2-1 when Nivia downed Pantusart 6-3, 6-2 at No. 3. From that point, the Zips earned straight-set wins at each remaining position to clinch match point.
Akron visits Bowling Green on Saturday for a 1 p.m. ET contest.
Zips Notebook: Freshman Olga Shkundina improved to 3-0 in MAC play at No. 2 singles ... the Zips are now 4-21 all-time versus Western Michigan, but have won four of the last five meetings including a 4-0 decision in last year's MAC tournament semifinal round ... today marked just the third time this season Akron has not won the doubles point and ended a streak of six-consecutive matches in which it had done so.
Akron 5, Western Michigan 2
1. Zara Harutyunyan/Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. April Kerr/Nini Sujashvili (WMU) 8-5
2. Maria Nivia/Jill Pastunink (WMU) def. Angelika Jogasuria/Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) 9-8 (5)
3. Kathleen Hawkins/Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Olga Shkundina/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) 8-6
1. Zara Harutyunyan (Akron) def. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Maggie Remynse (WMU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Maria Nivia (WMU) def. Prang Pantusart (Akron) 6-3, 6-2
4. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Jill Pastunink (WMU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) def. Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) def. Caroline Aleck (WMU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish:
Doubles – 1, 2, 3
Singles – 1, 3, 4, 6, 5, 2
Akron – 16-2, 2-1 MAC
Western Michigan – 12-8, 1-1 MAC