Tennis Cruises to 7-0 Win at Bowling Green
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio – The University of Akron tennis team posted its third-straight victory as it cruised to a 7-0 decision versus Bowling Green on Saturday indoors at the Perrysburg Tennis Center.
Akron (17-2, 3-1 Mid-American Conference) swept the doubles point and won at all six singles flights in straight sets to improve to 8-1 on the road this season.
While Bowling Green (6-6, 2-1 MAC) never really threatened, it managed to win four games in four different sets during singles play.
"We came out flat today in doubles, but managed to get through it and in singles we looked a little tight in the beginning," second-year Akron head coach Brandon Padgett said. "It's good to pick up another road win as we get deep into the MAC season."
Akron next enjoys a three-game league homestand with Buffalo (April 7), Eastern Michigan (April 13) and Toledo (April 14) visiting.
Zips Notebook: UA has shut out eight opponents this season, two in conference play (Ball State on March 24) ... the Zips have won three-straight and five of their last six matches ... freshman Olga Shkundina improved to 4-0 in MAC play at No. 2 singles ... UA's No. 1 doubles pair of Zara Harutyunyan and Prang Pantusart improved to 17-0 in dual-match play this season (4-0 in the MAC).
Akron 7, Bowling Green 0
1. Zara Harutyunyan/Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Nikki Chiricosta/Emily Reuland (BGSU) 8-5
2. Natalia Kuvakina/Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) def. Maddy Eccleston/Katie Grubb (BGSU) 8-4
3. Olga Shkundina/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Mary Hill/Jade Johnson (BGSU) 8-6
1. Zara Harutyunyan (Akron) def. Nikki Chiricosta (BGSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Maddy Eccleston (BGSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Emily Reuland (BGSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Mary Hill (BGSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) def. Katie Grubb (BGSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) def. Jessica Easdale (BGSU) 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish:
Doubles – 2, 3, 1
Singles – 6, 3, 5, 2, 4, 1
Akron – 17-2, 3-1 MAC
Bowling Green – 6-6, 2-1 MAC