AKRON, Ohio – The University of Akron tennis team ran its win streak to five matches with a 6-1 victory over Eastern Michigan in Mid-American Conference action on Friday afternoon outdoors at Springside Racquet Club.
Akron (19-2, 5-1 MAC) won two of three doubles contests to take an early 1-0 lead in the match scoring and was victorious at No. 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 singles to improve its record at home this season to 10-1.
Eastern Michigan (7-13, 3-2 MAC) earned its point at No. 2 singles where Miriam Westerink topped Olga Shkundina 6-7 (1), 6-2, 1-0 (8). It was Shkundina's first lost in league play this year.
"Today we looked very slow on a couple of courts, during both doubles and singles," second-year Akron head coach Brandon Padgett said. "All in all, though, it was a test of overall team effort and I'm certainly happy about how we worked through it."
The Zips close out a three-match homestand versus Toledo on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET at Springside Racquet Club.
Zips Notebook: In addition to its five-match win streak, UA has won seven of its last eight matches ... the Zips have won the doubles point in eight of the last nine matches and 18 times total this year ... UA's No. 1 doubles pair of Zara Harutyunyan and Prang Pantusart lost its first dual match of the season, falling to 18-1 overall and 5-1 in MAC play at that flight.
Akron 6, Eastern Michigan 1
1. Nino Mebuke/Miriam Westerink (EMU) def. Zara Harutyunyan/Prang Pantusart (Akron) 9-7
2. Angelika Jogasuria/Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) def. Georgia de'Lisle-Tarr/Mariya Toncheva (EMU) 8-5
3. Angelina Jogasuria/Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Daphne Friedrichs/Marcela Rivero (EMU) 8-3
1. Zara Harutyunyan (Akron) def. Nino Mebuke (EMU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Miriam Westerink (EMU) def. Olga Shkundina (Akron) 6-7 (1), 6-2, 1-0 (8)
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Ankita Bhatia (EMU) 6-0, 7-6 (3)
4. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Daphne Friedrichs (EMU) 7-5, 7-5
5. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) def. Mariya Toncheva (EMU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Marcela Rivero (EMU) 6-2, 6-1
Akron – 19-2, 5-1 MAC
Eastern Michigan – 7-13, 3-2 MAC