AKRON, Ohio – The University of Akron tennis team closed its home schedule with a 7-0 victory over Toledo indoors at LaTuchie Tennis Center on Saturday. The win was the Zips' sixth-straight and improved them to 11-1 at home this year.
Today was also Senior Day for UA's Zara Harutyunyan, who claimed a win at both doubles and singles in her final regular-season home contest. The three-time Mid-American Conference Player of the Year teamed with Angelina Jogasuria at No. 1 doubles for an 8-4 win over Kelsey Anonsen and Lexy Pitt, and a 6-3, 6-3 decision over Anonsen at No. 1 singles.
"It was sad to watch Zara play her final match at home, but I'm happy with how we played, for her and the team," second-year UA head coach Brandon Padgett said. "She is a special person and we will miss her greatly when the season comes to a close."
Akron (20-2, 6-1 MAC) earned wins at No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles by default as Toledo (9-10, 2-4 MAC) did not have enough players to fill out its lineup, and the Zips needed a third set to claim the points at No. 3 and 4 singles.
The Zips travel to Northern Illinois on April 21 for their final league match and will have a non-conference competition at UIC the next day.
Zips Notebook: UA has shut out nine opponents this season, three in conference play (Ball State on March 24, Bowling Green on March 31) ... while the Zips have won six-straight matches, UA also has been victorious in eight of its last nine overall contests ... the Zips have won the doubles point in nine of the last 10 matches and 19 times total this year.
Akron 7, Toledo 0
1. Zara Harutyunyan/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Kelsey Anonsen/Lexy Pitt (UT) 8-4
2. Angelika Jogasuria/Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) def. Amanda Border/Pai Rygh (UT) 8-4
3. Ksenia Berestetska/Olga Shkundina (Akron) won by default
1. Zara Harutyunyan (Akron) def. Kelsey Anonsen (UT) 6-3, 6-3
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Pia Rygh (UT) 6-3, 6-2
3. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Lexy Pitt (UT) 6-4, 6-7 (3), 1-0 (3)
4. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) def. Christine Coffman (UT) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (5)
5. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Amanda Border (UT) 6-2, 6-1
6. Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) won default
Akron – 20-2, 6-1 MAC
Toledo – 9-10, 2-4 MAC