Women's Tennis Downs Middle Tennessee State, 4-3, in Season Opener
Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter (@ZipsWTEN) and Facebook
Head Coach Brandon Padgett Post-Match Video and Highlights
AKRON, Ohio – The University of Akron women's tennis team posted a 4-3 win over Middle Tennessee State in the season opener for both squads on Friday afternoon at LaTuchie Tennis Center.
Akron (1-0) picked up the early doubles point with victories at the first and second flights, then posted straight-set wins at Nos. 1, 3 and 6 singles to secure match point.
Prang Pantusart's 6-3, 6-3 victory at No. 3 over Flavia Nagayama clinched the decisive point for the Zips, after Andrea Duva topped Alexandra Torres 6-0, 6-4 at No. 6 and Olga Shkundina bested Yuiri Nomoto 6-1, 7-5 at No. 1. After cruising in her first set, Shkundina was behind for the majority of the second, but rallied for the win after being down 5-4.
Middle Tennessee State (0-1) earned its points with a 7-6 (5), 6-3 win at No. 2 by Irina Constantinide over Angelina Jogasuria, a 2-6, 6-3 (10-8) victory by Carla Nava at No. 4 versus Ksenia Berestetska and a 6-1, 6-3 decision at No. 5 by Navara Moraes over Madison Cohen.
For the Zips in doubles, it was Pantusart and Angelina Jogasuria over Nomoto and Nava 8-2 at No. 1, while Shkundina and Berestetska downed Constantinide and Moraes 8-5 at No. 2. MTSU's Nagayama and Torres got the best of UA's Cohen and Angelika Jogasuria 8-6 at No. 3
The Zips return to the court on Sunday at 10 a.m. ET when they play host to 50th-ranked Penn State at LaTuchie Tennis Center. PSU faces Middle Tennessee State on Saturday at 10 a.m. at LaTuchie.
Zips Notebook: Sophomore Olga Shkundina played at No. 1 singles for the third time in her collegiate career, improving to 3-0 all-time when competing in that lineup spot (2-0 in 2012) ... Andrea Duva earned a win in her first collegiate match ... the freshman walk on was officially added to the UA roster on Thursday.
Akron 4, Middle Tennessee State 3
1. Angelina Jogasuria/Prang Pantusart (UA) def. Yuiri Nomoto/Carla Nava (MTSU) 8-2
2. Olga Shkundina/Ksenia Berestetska (UA) def. Irina Constantinide/Navara Moraes (MTSU) 8-5
3. Flavia Nagayama/Alexandra Torres (MTSU) def. Angelika Jogasuria/Madison Cohen (UA) 8-6
1. Olga Shkundina (UA) def. Yuiri Nomoto (MTSU) 6-1, 7-5
2. Irina Constantinide (MTSU) def. Angelina Jogasuria (UA) 7-6 (5), 6-3
3. Prang Pantusart (UA) def. Flavia Nagayama (MTSU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Carla Nava (MTSU) def. Ksenia Berestetska (UA) 2-6, 6-3 (10-8)
5. Navara Moraes (MTSU) def. Madison Cohen (UA) 6-1, 6-3
6. Andrea Duva (UA) def. Alexandra Torres (MTSU) 6-0, 6-4
Order of finish:
Doubles – 1, 2, 3
Singles – 5, 1, 3, 6, 2, 4
Akron – 1-0
Middle Tennessee State – 0-1