Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter (@ZipsWTEN) and Facebook
Head Coach Brandon Padgett Post-Match Video and Highlights
AKRON, Ohio – The University of Akron women's tennis team closed out it season-opening homestand with a 5-2 loss to 50th-ranked Penn State on Sunday afternoon at LaTuchie Tennis Center.
Penn State (2-0) won on 2-of-3 doubles courts and made its way through the Akron (1-1) singles lineup with relative ease, winning at Nos. 1, 2 and 6 singles in straight-sets and claiming a hard-fought three-set decision at No. 4.
PSU's Petra Januskova, ranked 27th nationally, topped Olga Shkundina 6-1, 6-2 at No. 1 singles. Chelsea Utting downed Prang Pantusart 6-3, 6-1 at No. 2. Jacqueline Zuhse got the best of Madison Cohen 6-1, 6-3 at No. 6. Carmen Sandor earned a 6-2, 6-7 (6), 1-0 (2) win over Angelika Jogasuria at No. 4.
The Zips posted their points with a 6-3, 6-2 victory at No. 3 singles by Angelina Jogasuria over Devan McCluskey, and a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 5 from Ksenia Berestetska versus Katherine Whiteaway.
The teams split Nos. 1 and 3 doubles, with the Nittany Lions duo of Sandor and Sarah Henderson getting Cohen and Andrea Duva 8-5 at No. 3 first, and the Zips' pair of Pantusart and Angelina Jogasuria winning 8-6 at No. 1 over Januskova and Utting second. After coming back to lead 4-3 at No. 2, the UA team of Shkundina and Berestetska lost 8-5 to Whiteaway and Zuhse to give up the point.
Next weekend, the Zips travel to Los Angeles to compete in the prestigious Intercollegiate Tennis Association's Kick-Off Weekend. UA will take on fourth-ranked USC on Saturday and either 55th-ranked Tulane or 68th-ranked UC Irvine the next day.
Zips Notebook: Despite today's loss, Akron still leads 2-1 in the all-time series with Penn State ... the Zips defeated the Nittany Lions 5-2 on the road in 2010 and 2011 ... after losing her No. 4 singles match in three sets on Friday against Middle Tennessee State, Ksenia Berestetska rebounded with a decisive win today at No. 5 ... Angelika Jogasuria is playing through a shoulder injury.
(50) Penn State 5, Akron 2
1. Prang Pantusart/Angelina Jogasuria (UA) def. Petra Januskova/Chelsea Utting (PSU) 8-6
2. Katherine Whiteaway/Jacqueline Zuhse (PSU) def. Olga Shkundina/Ksenia Berestetska (UA) 8-5
3. Carmen Sandor/Sarah Henderson (PSU) def. Madison Cohen/Andrea Duva (UA) 8-5
1. (27) Petra Januskova (PSU) def. Olga Shkundina (UA) 6-1, 6-2
2. Chelsea Utting (PSU) def. Prang Pantusart (UA) 6-3, 6-1
3. Angelina Jogasuria (UA) def. Devan McCluskey (PSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Carmen Sandor (PSU) def. Angelika Jogasuria (UA) 6-2, 6-7 (6), 1-0 (2)
5. Ksenia Berestetska (UA) def. Katherine Whiteaway (PSU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Jacqueline Zuhse (PSU) def. Madison Cohen (UA) 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish:
Doubles – 3, 1, 2
Singles – 5, 1, 2, 6, 3, 4
Akron – 1-1
Penn State – 2-0