Women's Tennis Ends ITA Kick-Off Weekend with Loss to No. 55 Tulane
LOS ANGELES - The University of Akron tennis team concluded its participation in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend with a 4-1 loss to 55th-ranked Tulane on Sunday afternoon at USC's Marks Stadium.
Tulane (1-1) opened the day by taking the doubles point with wins at the second and third flights, then clinched match point with straight-set victories at the second, fifth and sixth singles positions.
In doubles, the Zips duo of Olga Shkundina and Ksenia Berestetska lost 8-1 at No. 2 to Caroline Thornton and Caroline Magnusson as did the UA pair of Andrea Duva and Madison Cohen 8-2 at No. 3 to Emma Levy and Jenny Hois. When the early point was claimed, the score at No. 1 for UA's Prang Pantusart and Angelina Jogasuria versus Klara Vyskocilova and Ipek Birol sat at 4-all.
Angelina Jogasuria claimed the Zips' lone point by way of a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 3 over Hois. Her twin, Angelika Jogasuria, was in a third set at No. 4 when Tulane claimed the match victory, and Shkundina held a 4-2 lead in the second set at No. 1 after dropping the first set 6-4 to Vuskocilova.
"We played hard today in singles, and I'm please with the effort and the progress we made on this trip," third-year Akron head coach Brandon Padgett said. "With injuries and illness causing some roadblocks, we did well."
Tulane's singles wins came from Levy 6-2, 6-1 at No. 2 over Pantusart, Thornton 6-3, 6-2 at No. 5 versus Berestetska and Magnusson 6-1, 6-1 at No. 6 against Cohen.
Akron (1-3) returns home to play host to 53rd-ranked Missouri and 71st-ranked Princeton next Friday (noon ET) and Sunday (10 a.m.), respectively, at LaTuchie Tennis Center.
Zips Notebook: Akron was facing its third-straight ranked opponent (No. 4 USC on Saturday, No. 50 Penn State on Jan. 21) ... the Zips dropped to 0-2 all-time versus Tulane (7-0 loss on March 15, 2011).
(55) Tulane 4, Akron 1
1. Klara Vyskocilova/Ipek Birol (Tulane) vs. Prang Panusart/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) 4-4, DNF
2. Caroline Thornton/Caroline Magnusson (Tulane) def. Olga Shkundina/Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) 8-1
3. Emma Levy/Jenny Hois (Tulane) def. Andrea Duva/Madison Cohen (Akron) 8-2
1. Klara Vyskocilova (Tulane) vs. Olga Shkundina (Akron) 6-4, 2-4, DNF
2. Emma Levy (Tulane) def. Prang Pantusart (Akron) 6-2, 6-1
3. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Jenny Hois (Tulane) 6-3, 6-3
4. Ipek Birol (Tulane) vs. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0, DNF
5. Caroline Thornton (Tulane) def. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) 6-3, 6-2
6. Caroline Magnusson (Tulane) def. Madison Cohen (Akron) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish:
Doubles – 3, 2
Singles – 6, 3, 2, 5
Akron – 1-3
Tulane – 1-1