Women's Tennis Gives Up 4-3 Decision to Nationally-Ranked Missouri
Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter (@ZipsWTEN) and Facebook
Head Coach Brandon Padgett Post-Match Video and Highlights
AKRON, Ohio – The University of Akron women's tennis team dropped a hard-fought 4-3 decision to visiting 52nd-ranked Missouri on Friday afternoon at LaTuchie Tennis Center.
Akron (1-4) claimed the doubles point thanks to a comeback victory at the third flight, where Angelika Jogasuria and Madison Cohen rebounded from a 5-0 deficit to make it 7-all and then win the early point 9-7 over Alex Clark and Madison Rhyner.
The first flight of doubles also featured a gutsy performance by the Zips as Prang Pantusart and Angelina Jogasuria took down the nation's 26th-ranked duo of Cierra Gaytan-Leach and Elisha Gabb. The UA pair led 4-3, but Gaytan-Leach and Gabb tied it at 5-all and then led 6-5. Pantusart and Jogasuria tied it at 6-all and 7-all en route to a 9-7 victory.
At second doubles, Missouri's Rachel Stuhlmann and Maria Christensen downed Olga Shkundina and Ksenia Berestetska, 8-2.
In singles, Missouri (3-1) won in straight sets at Nos. 1, 2 and 4, and needed a three-set score to claim No. 6. Shkundina lost 7-5, 6-0 at No. 1 to Gaytan-Leach, Pantusart was defeated 6-4, 6-2 at No. 2 by Stuhlmann, and Angelika Jogasuria fell 6-0, 6-0 at No. 4 to Christensen. UA's Cohen won the first set of No. 6, 6-2, but Clark claimed a 6-2 win in both the second and third set.
Akron earned one point at No. 3 singles, where Angelina Jogasuria defeated Gabb, 6-4, 6-4, and No. 5, where Berestetska topped Rhyner, 6-0, 6-3.
Akron takes on 73rd-ranked Princeton on Sunday at 10 a.m. at LaTuchie Tennis Center.
Zips Notebook: Akron was facing its fourth-straight ranked opponent ... prior to taking on Missouri today, the Zips met up with No. 50 Penn State (L, 5-2; Jan. 20), No. 4 USC (L, 4-0; Jan. 26) and No. 55 Tulane (L, 4-1; Jan. 27) ... Angelina Jogasuria has won consecutive matches at No. 3 singles and is 3-1 at that position this season.
(52) Missouri 4, Akron 3
1. Prang Pantusart/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. (26) Cierra Gaytan-Leach/Elisha Gabb (Missouri) 9-7
2. Rachel Stuhlmann/Maria Christensen (Missouri) def. Olga Shkundina/Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) 8-2
3. Angelika Jogasuria/Madison Cohen (Akron) def. Alex Clark/Madison Rhyner (Missouri) 9-7
1. (71) Cierra Gaytan-Leach (Missouri) def. Olga Shkundina (Akron) 7-5, 6-0
2. Rachel Stuhlmann (Missouri) def. Prang Pantusart (Akron) 6-4, 6-2
3. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Elisha Gabb (Missouri) 6-4, 6-4
4. Maria Christensen (Missouri) def. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 6-0, 6-0
5. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Madison Rhyner (Missouri) 6-0, 6-3
6. Alex Clark (Missouri) def. Madison Cohen (Akron) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish:
Doubles – 2, 1, 3
Singles – 4, 1, 2, 5, 6, 3
Akron – 1-4
Missouri – 3-1