Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter (@ZipsWTEN) and Facebook
NEWARK, N.J. – The University of Akron women's tennis team extended its win streak to five matches on Friday afternoon with a 7-0 victory over Wagner on a neutral court at the New Jersey Institute of Technology Tennis Center.
The Zips (6-5) faced little resistance from the Seahawks (2-3), allowing their opponent to win just one game in doubles and one in singles on the way to claiming their first shutout of the season.
UA's No. 1 doubles team of Prang Pantusart and Angelina Jogasuria, ranked 43rd nationally, downed Rachel Jurgielewicz and Nicole Vukov by a count of 8-0, and the Zips pair of Olga Shkundina and Andrea Duva clinched the doubles point with an 8-0 defeat of Aurora Brennan and Lauren Hauer at No. 3. Akron's Madison Cohen and Angelika Jogasuria got the best of Julia Teichman and Jenna Harris 8-1 at No. 2.
In singles, the only Zip to drop a game was Pantusart in the second flight. She topped Vukov 6-0, 6-1. UA won 6-0, 6-0 at each of the other five positions – Angelina Jogasuria at No. 1, Shkundina at No. 3, Angelika Jogasuria at No. 4, Cohen at No. 5 and Duva at No. 6.
Akron continues its East Coast road swing at NJIT on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET and at No. 52 Columbia on Sunday at 11 a.m.
Zips Notebook: The UA duo of Prang Pantusart and Angelina Jogasuria improved to 9-0 in doubles this season ... Angelina Jogasuria won her fifth-straight singles match and fourth consecutive when playing in the first flight ... Jogasuria is 4-0 at No. 1 singles this year ... Olga Shkundina won her fourth-straight singles contest and improved to 2-0 at the No. 3 spot in the lineup ... Pantusart ended a two-match singles losing streak ... the Zips and Seahawks were meeting for the first time on the tennis court.
Akron 7, Wagner 0
1. (43) Prang Pantusart/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Rachel Jurgielewicz/Nicole Vukov (Wagner) 8-0
2. Madison Cohen/Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) def. Julia Teichman/Jenna Harris (Wagner) 8-1
3. Olga Shkundina/Andrea Duva (Akron) def. Aurora Brennan/Lauren Hauer (Wagner) 8-0
1. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Rachel Jurgielewicz (Wagner) 6-0, 6-0
2. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Nicole Vukov (Wagner) 6-0, 6-1
3. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Julia Teichman (Wagner) 6-0, 6-0
4. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) def. Jenna Harris (Wagner) 6-0, 6-0
5. Madison Cohen (Akron) def. Lauren Hauer (Wagner) 6-0, 6-0
6. Andrea Duva (Akron) def. Kari Rezac (Wagner) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish:
Doubles – 1, 3, 2
Singles – 3, 4, 2, 1, 5, 6
Akron – 6-5
Wagner – 2-3