Tennis Win Streak Extended to Six Matches with 5-2 Win at NJIT
Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter (@ZipsWTEN) and Facebook
NEWARK, N.J. – The University of Akron women's tennis team posted its second victory in as many days with a 5-2 defeat of New Jersey Institute of Technology on Saturday afternoon at NJIT Tennis Center. The Zips have won six-straight contests and improved their dual-match record to 7-5.
After topping Wagner 7-0 in a neutral court contest at the NJIT Tennis Center yesterday, Akron kept its win streak going today by again claiming the doubles point and then winning in straight sets at Nos. 1-4 singles to take match point.
Same as against Wagner, the Zips won at the first and third flights of doubles. At No. 1, it was the 43rd-ranked team of Prang Pantusart and Angelina Jogasuria over Ksenia Kuzmenko and Jana Luste 8-4 to improve to 10-0 this season. Olga Shkundina and Ksenia Berestetska took No. 3 from Monika Graff and Hannelore MacDonald, 9-7.
In singles, Angelina Jogasuria got the best of Kuzmenko 6-4, 6-2 at No. 1, Shkundina downed Graff 7-5, 6-1 at No. 2, Pantusart topped Luste 6-1, 6-1 at No. 3 and Berestetska defeated Natalia Melibeu 6-1, 6-1 at No. 4.
At No. 5 singles, Martina Tripcovici caught Angelika Jogasuria 6-2, 6-1, while Madison Cohen fell 6-4, 6-3 at No. 6 to Carolina Zanotta.
NJIT fell to 5-2 on the season.
The Zips travel to New York City on Sunday to compete against 52nd-ranked Columbia at 11 a.m. ET.
Zips Notebook: Akron won the doubles point for the third-straight match and fifth time during its win streak ... the Zips did not claim the doubles point against East Tennessee State on Feb. 15 ... Angelina Jogasuria won her sixth-straight singles match and fifth consecutive when playing No. 1 ... Jogasuria is 5-0 when competing at the top flight of singles this year ... Olga Shkundina won her fifth-consecutive singles contest ... today was the second time this season Shkundina has playing at No. 2 ... after not competing on Friday against Wagner, Ksenia Berestetska extended her win streak in singles to seven matches with today's win at No. 4 ... Akron improved to 2-0 all-time versus NJIT ... the Zips downed the Highlanders 7-0 last season in Akron.
Akron 5, NJIT 2
1. (43) Prang Pantusart/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Ksenia Kuzmenko/Jana Luste (NJIT) 8-4
2. Natalia Melibeu/Carolina Zanotta (NJIT) vs. Madison Cohen/Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 7-6, DNF
3. Olga Shkundina/Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Monika Graff/Hannelore MacDonald (NJIT) 9-7
1. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Ksenia Kuzmenko (NJIT) 6-4, 6-2
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Monika Graff (NJIT) 7-5, 6-1
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Jana Luste (NJIT) 6-1, 6-1
4. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Natalia Melibeu (NJIT) 6-1, 6-1
5. Martina Tripcovici (NJIT) def. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 6-2, 6-1
6. Carolina Zanotta (NJIT) def. Madison Cohen (Akron) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish:
Doubles – 1, 3
Singles – 3, 4, 2, 1, 5, 6
Akron – 7-5
NJIT – 5-2