Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter (@ZipsWTEN) and Facebook
NEW YORK – The University of Akron women's tennis team closed out its three-match East Coast road trip with a 6-1 defeat by 52nd-ranked Columbia on Sunday at Dick Savitt Tennis Center. The loss ended the squad's six-match winning streak.
The Zips' lone point of the day came by way of a 6-4, 6-1 decision at No. 6 singles by Madison Cohen over Amy Li.
Columbia (4-3), the seventh nationally-ranked opponent Akron (7-6) has faced this season, won at the second and third flights of doubles to take a one-point advantage, then posted straight-set victories at Nos. 1-5 singles.
At No. 2 doubles, Cohen and Angelika Jogasuria lost 8-3 to Katarina Kovacevic and Tiana Takenaga, while Olga Shkundina and Ksenia Berestetska fell 8-1 at No. 3 to Crystal Leung and Amy Li.
Highlights for the Zips in singles came from Shkundina at No. 2 and Berestetska at No. 4. Shkundina lost her first set 7-6 (9) and the second 6-2. After falling 6-2 in her first set, Berestetska did not go down easy in the second, losing 7-5.
Akron is idle until March 7 when it plays host to Youngstown State at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Zips Notebook: The Lions were the Zips' second Ivy League foe this season (6-1 loss to No. 73 Princeton on Feb. 3) ... Akron was facing Columbia for the second time ever, and first since an 8-1 loss in March 1990 on a neutral court in Florida.
(52) Columbia 6, Akron 1
1. (43) Prang Pantusart/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) vs. Bianca Sanon/Kanika Vaidya (Columbia) 5-4, DNF
2. Katarina Kovacevic/Tiana Takenaga (Columbia) def. Madison Cohen/Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 8-3
3. Crystal Leung/Amy Li (Columbia) def. Olga Shkundina/Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) 8-1
1. Bianca Sanon (Columbia) def. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) 6-3, 6-2
2. Kanika Vaidya (Columbia) def. Olga Shkundina (Akron) 7-6 (9), 6-2
3. Crystal Leung (Columbia) def. Prang Pantusart (Akron) 6-3, 6-3
4. Katarina Kovacevic (Columbia) def. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) 6-2, 7-5
5. Tiana Takenaga (Columbia) def. Andrea Duva (Akron) 6-1, 6-3
6. Madison Cohen (Akron) def. Amy Li (Columbia) 6-4, 6-1
Akron – 7-6
Columbia – 4-3