Dominant Singles Play Gives Women's Tennis Win at UW-Milwaukee
Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter (@ZipsWTEN) and Facebook
MILWAUKEE – A sweep of the six singles flights lifted The University of Akron women's tennis team to a 6-1 victory over Wisconsin-Milwaukee on Tuesday afternoon at Elite Sports Club – North Shore. The win was the Zips' fifth straight and 11th in 12 outings.
After giving up the doubles point with a loss at the Nos. 1 and 3 positions, Akron (12-6) won at all six singles spots to keep its win streak alive and improve to 4-2 in road contests this year.
"Today we played some of the worst doubles I've seen," third-year Akron head coach Brandon Padgett said. "Thankfully, the team rebounded well in singles to secured the win."
The Zips took five of the six singles matchups in straight sets and faced little resistance. Wisconsin-Milwaukee (9-5) won three games in two sets and four in another, but were held to one or two games in the nine remaining sets. Andrea Duva won a third-set tiebreaker at No. 6 to close out the day. She topped Maria Zompolas 3-6, 6-1, 1-0 (4).
Akron continues its Spring Break road trip with a match against Illinois-Chicago on Wednesday at Match Point Tennis Club in Griffith, Ind. The Zips resume Mid-American Conference play at Ball State on Friday and at Miami (Ohio) on Saturday.
Zips Notebook: Today was the first meeting between the two programs ... UA's four-match stretch of winning the doubles point ended ... through 18 matches, the Zips have lost the doubles point six times (did not play doubles at USC on Jan. 26) ... Olga Shkundina won her fifth-straight singles contest ... today marked the sixth time this year she has played at No. 1 and first time since Feb. 1 versus Missouri ... Shkundina is 2-3 and had one unfinished match when listed at No. 1 in the singles lineup ... Angelina Jogasuria played at No. 2 singles for the third time this season, after lining up at No. 1 in the last eight outings.
Akron 6, Wisconsin-Milwaukee 1
1. Maddy Soule/Christina Colarossi (UWM) def. Prang Pantusart/Olga Shkundina (Akron) 8-6
2. Angelina Jogasuria/Madison Cohen (Akron) def. Kelly Fritz/Dana Shannon (UWM) 8-4
3. Chelsea Bailey/Brittany Skemp (UWM) def. Angelika Jogasuria/Signe Lazdina (Akron) 9-8 (4)
1. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Maddy Soule (UWM) 6-3, 6-1
2. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Dana Shannon (UWM) 6-1, 6-1
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Chelsea Bailey (UWM) 6-2, 6-1
4. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) def. Christina Colarossi (UWM) 6-4, 6-1
5. Madison Cohen (Akron) def. Kristin Kurer (UWM) 6-1, 6-2
6. Andrea Duva (Akron) def. Maria Zompolas (UWM) 3-6, 6-1, 1-0 (4)
Order of finish:
Doubles – 2, 1, 3
Singles – 3, 5, 1, 2, 4, 6
Akron – 12-6
Wisconsin-Milwaukee – 9-5