Women's Tennis Wins Sixth Straight with Shutout of UIC
Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter (@ZipsWTEN) and Facebook
GRIFFITH, Ind. – The University of Akron women's tennis team notched its second victory in as many days and extended its win streak to six matches with a 7-0 defeat of Illinois-Chicago on Wednesday afternoon at Match Point Tennis Club.
UIC (9-4) was unable to fully fill out its side of the lineup card, and was forced to give up No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles by default. In doubles, Akron (13-6) claimed hard-fought decisions at Nos. 1 and 2 to take a one-point advantage into singles where it swept all five positions.
"Doubles was once again a struggle, but I am very pleased with our singles effort today," third-year Akron head coach Brandon Padgett said. "We played a depleted UIC team that fought extremely hard, but we managed to perform at a high level throughout."
The Zips duo of Angelina Jogasuria and Olga Shkundina defeated Kathryn Sharples and Jana Knoppe 9-8 (7) at No. 1, while Prang Pantusart and Angelika Jogasuria bested Natalia Kuvakina at Ann-Sophie Hahn 9-7 at No. 2.
Akron, which won 6-1 at Wisconsin-Milwaukee on Tuesday, went on to take Nos. 1-3 singles in straight sets, with Shkundina topping Kuvakina 6-1, 6-2 at No. 1, Angelina Jogasuria downing Sharples 6-0, 6-3 at No. 2, and Pantusart getting the better of Knoppe at No. 3, 6-3, 6-2.
Nos. 4 and 5 singles each was decided by a third-set tiebreaker. At No. 4, Angelika Jogasuria won 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (7) over Keti Mebuke, and Ksenia Berestetska edged Hahn 3-6, 6-0, 1-0 (3) at No. 5.
The Zips take tomorrow off from competition, but stay on the road and resume Mid-American Conference play at Ball State on Friday and Miami (Ohio) on Saturday. Both contests are scheduled to get underway at 1 p.m. ET.
Zips Notebook: The victory was the Zips' third shutout of the season ... Olga Shkundina played at No. 1 singles for the second-straight day and ran her win streak in singles to six matches ... the Zips avenged a 4-3 loss at UIC last season (April 22, 2012) ... along with its six-match win streak, UA has won 12 of its last 13 contests ... UIC was the fifth member of the Horizon League that Akron defeated this season (Cleveland State, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Wright State, Youngstown State).
Akron 7, Illinois-Chicago 0
1. Angelina Jogasuria/Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Kathryn Sharples/Jana Knoppe (UIC) 9-8 (7)
2. Prang Pantusart/Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) def. Natalia Kuvakina/Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) 9-7
3. Ksenia Berestetska/Madison Cohen (Akron) won by default
1. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) 6-1, 6-3
2. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) 6-0, 6-3
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Jana Knoppe (UIC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) def. Keti Mebuke (UIC) 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (7)
5. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) 3-6, 6-0, 1-0 (3)
6. Madison Cohen (Akron) def. won by default
Order of finish:
Doubles – 3, 2, 1
Singles – 6, 1, 2, 3, 5, 4
Akron – 13-6
Illinois-Chicago – 9-4