Women's Tennis Slides By Ball State 4-3, Improves to 2-0 in MAC Standings
Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter (@ZipsWTEN) and Facebook
MUNCIE, Ind. – The University of Akron women's tennis team extended its win streak to seven matches and improved to 2-0 against Mid-American Conference competition thanks to a 4-3 win over Ball State on Friday afternoon at the YMCA Tennis Center.
Akron gave up the doubles point with losses at the No. 2 and 3 spots in its lineup, but rallied with straight-set victories in four of the six singles flights to improve to 14-6 overall this season.
The Zips' points came at Nos. 2, 3, 5 and 6 singles. Olga Shkundina topped Courtney Earnest 6-3, 6-3 at No. 2, Prang Pantusart bested Ayaka Terashi 6-0, 6-2 at No. 3, Ksenia Berestetska got Bethany Moore 6-3, 6-3 at No. 5, and Madison Cohen took care of Ashlyn Rang 6-2, 7-6 (4) at No. 6.
The Zips' lone win on the doubles courts came by a score of 8-2 from Angelina Jogasuria and Prang Pantuart over Earnest and Courtney Wild. Jogasuria and Pantusart are ranked 65th nationally and improved to 12-0 this season.
Akron continues league play and concludes a four-match Spring Break road trip on Saturday at Miami (Ohio) at 1 p.m. ET. The contest serves as a rematch of last season's MAC tournament championship, which UA won 4-3 to gain the conference's automatic bid into the NCAA tournament.
Zips Notebook: In addition to its seven-match win streak, Akron has won 13 of its last 14 contests ... the Zips are 5-2 in true road matches this season ... today marked the sixth time this year UA has won by a count of 4-3 ... the squad's No. 1 doubles team of Pantusart and Jogasuria played together for the first time since March 7 versus Youngstown State ... Olga Shkundina ran her singles win streak to seven matches ... Ksenia Berestetska has won five straight and 12 of her last 13 singles competitions ... the Zips have defeated the Cardinals in five-straight meetings and improved their all-time record versus that program to 7-17 ... UA had lost 16-consecutive contests to BSU prior to a 4-3 win on April 3, 2009 in Muncie, Ind.
Akron 4, Ball State 3
1. (65) Angelina Jogasuria/Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Courtney Wild/Courtney Earnest (BSU) 8-2
2. Bethany Moore/Kristel Sanders (BSU) def. Olga Shkundina/Madison Cohen (Akron) 8-4
3. Paola Rodriguez/Lauren Pickrel (BSU) def. Angelika Jogasuria/Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) 8-5
1. Courtney Wild (BSU) def. Angelina Jogasuria (AKRON) 6-4, 6-1
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Courtney Earnest (BSU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Ayaka Terashi (BSU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Kristel Sanders (BSU) def. Angelika Jogasuria (AKRON) 7-5, 6-1
5. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Bethany Moore (BSU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Madison Cohen (Akron) def. Ashlyn Rang (BSU) 6-2, 7-6 (4)
Akron – 14-6, 2-0 MAC
Ball State – 10-8, 1-1 MAC