Women's Tennis Drops 4-3 Decision to Bowling Green
Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter and Facebook
Head Coach Brandon Padgett Post-Match Video and Highlights
AKRON, Ohio – A three-set, last-match-on-court decision at No. 4 singles lifted visiting Bowling Green to a 4-3 victory over The University of Akron women's tennis team on Friday afternoon indoors at LaTuchie Tennis Center.
Katie Brozovich topped Ksenia Berestetska 6-4, 6-7 (3), 6-0 at the fourth flight to decide match point. The loss dropped Akron to 14-8 overall and 2-2 against Mid-American Conference opponents, while Bowling Green improved to 14-2 overall and 3-1 in league play.
After going down 1-0 following doubles, the Zips pulled ahead 3-1 with wins in order at Nos. 3, 6 and 2 singles, but the Falcons evened the tally with victories at Nos. 1 and 5, and left the decision in the hands of Brozovich and Berestetska at No. 4.
Akron's three singles wins came in straight sets. Angelina Jogasuria defeated Emily Reuland 6-0, 7-5 at No. 2, Prang Pantusart downed Maddy Eccleston 6-1, 6-2 at No. 3, and Madison Cohen took care of Mary Hill 6-3, 6-4 at No. 6.
Olga Shkundina fell 7-6 (5), 6-3 to Nikki Chiricosta at No. 1, while Katie Grubb got the best of Signe Lazdina 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 at No. 5. Lazdina was slowed by an injury suffered during the contest.
UA opened doubles play with an 8-2 win at No. 1, where the 65th-ranked duo of Pantusart and Angelina Jogasuria bested Chiricosta and Reuland, but BGSU took close contests at the two remaining positions to claim the early lead. At No. 2, Eccleston and Grubb won 9-8 (5) over Cohen and Angelika Jogasuria, while at No. 3 it was Hill and Jade Johnson over Berestetska and Shkundina, 8-6.
Akron plays host to Western Michigan on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET in its final home match of the regular season. The contest is scheduled to be played outdoors at Springside Racquet Club in nearby Fairlawn (driving directions), and will serve as Senior Day for the Jogasuria sisters and Pantusart.
Zips Notebook: Akron's nationally-ranked No. 1 doubles pair of Angelina Jogasuria and Prang Pantusart improved to 14-0 this season ... Ksenia Berestetska had a stretch of six-straight wins in singles end ... this was the Zips' second 4-3 loss this season (the other was against then 52nd-ranked Missouri on Feb. 1, also at LaTuchie Tennis Center) ... UA has had eight 4-3 decisions overall this year ... Akron had won its five previous meetings versus Bowling Green.
Bowling Green 4, Akron 3
1. (65) Angelina Jogasuria/Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Nikki Chiricosta/Emily Reuland (BGSU) 8-2
2. Maddy Eccleston/Katie Grubb (BGSU) def. Madison Cohen/Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 9-8 (5)
3. Mary Hill/Jade Johnson (BGSU) def. Ksenia Berestetska/Olga Shkundina (Akron) 8-6
1. Nikki Chiricosta (BGSU) def. Olga Shkundina (Akron) 7-6 (5), 6-3
2. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Emily Reuland (BGSU) 6-0, 7-5
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Maddy Eccleston (BGSU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Katie Brozovich (BGSU) def. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) 4-6, 7-6 (3), 6-0
5. Katie Grubb (BGSU) def. Signe Lazdina (Akron) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Madison Cohen (Akron) def. Mary Hill (BGSU) 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish:
Doubles – 1, 3, 2
Singles – 3, 6, 2, 1, 5, 4
Akron – 14-8, 2-2 MAC
Bowling Green – 14-2, 3-1 MAC