Women's Tennis Closes Home Schedule with 5-2 Defeat of Western Michigan
Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter and Facebook
Head Coach Brandon Padgett Post-Match Video and Highlights
AKRON, Ohio – The University of Akron women's tennis team handed visiting Western Michigan its first defeat in Mid-American Conference play this season by way of a 5-2 decision on Saturday afternoon outdoors at Springside Racquet Club.
The Broncos entered the day 4-0 versus league foes, but saw their four-match win streak end, while the Zips stopped their own two-match losing skid.
Akron (15-8, 3-2 MAC) won at the first and third doubles flights to take an early 1-0 lead, then took No. 1, 2, 3, and 5 singles in straight sets to close out its regular-season home schedule with an 8-4 mark.
It was Olga Shkundina's 6-2, 7-5 defeat of Nini Sujashvili at No. 1 singles that clinched match point, after Ksenia Berestetska downed Caroline Aleck 6-2, 6-0 at No. 5 and Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) topped Maggie Remynse 6-1, 6-1 at No. 2. Prang Pantusart provided the final UA point, taking care of Jill Pastunink 6-2, 7-5 at No. 3.
In doubles, Pantusart and Angelina Jogasuria won 8-5 at No. 1 over Aleck and Kathleen Hawkins, while Berestetska and Shkundina teamed up for an 8-5 win over Pastunink and Kelsey King at No. 3. UA's Angelika Jogasuria and Madison Cohen lost 8-1 at No. 2 to Remynse and Sujashvili.
Western Michigan (11-10, 4-1 MAC) earned points at No. 4 singles, where Hawkins bested Angelika Jogasuria 6-3, 6-3, and at No. 6 singles, where King defeated Cohen, 6-3, 6-4.
Akron travels to Buffalo on April 13 for a 1 p.m. ET matchup.
Zips Notebook: Saturday served as Senior Day for Angelika Jogasuria, Angelina Jogasuria and Prang Pantusart ... the Zips have defeated the Broncos in three-straight regular-season meetings and five-straight times overall, including victories in the semifinal round of the MAC tournament each of the last two years ... UA's No. 1 doubles team of Angelina Jogasuria and Prang Pantusart is ranked 65th nationally and improved to 15-0 this season.
Akron 5, Western Michigan 2
1. (65) Prang Pantusart/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Kathleen Hawkins/Caroline Aleck (WMU) 8-5
2. Nini Sujashvili/Maggie Remynse (WMU) def. Angelika Jogasuria/Madison Cohen (Akron) 8-1
3. Ksenia Berestetska/Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Jill Pastunink/Kelsey King (WMU) 8-5
1. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) 6-2, 7-5
2. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Maggie Remynse (WMU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Jill Pastunink (WMU) 6-2, 7-5
4. Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) def. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 6-3, 6-3
5. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Caroline Aleck (WMU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Kelsey King (WMU) def. Madison Cohen (Akron) 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish:
Doubles – 2, 1, 3
Singles – 5, 2, 1, 6, 4, 3
Akron – 15-8, 3-2 MAC
Western Michigan – 11-10, 4-1 MAC