Women's Tennis Cruises By Buffalo 6-1, Improves MAC Mark to 4-2
Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter and Facebook
BUFFALO, N.Y. – The University of Akron women's tennis team picked up a 6-1 victory over Buffalo on Saturday afternoon in a Mid-American Conference match indoors at Miller Tennis Center. The win was the Zips' second straight and improved them to 4-2 in league play and 16-8 overall this season.
Akron took the doubles point with a victory on the No. 1 and 3 courts, then won in straight sets at No. 1-3, 5 and 6 singles to clinch the decision.
At first doubles it was UA's Prang Pantusart and Angelina Jogasuria over Tanvi Shah and Miranda Podlas 8-5, while at the third flight the Zips' duo of Olga Shkundina and Ksenia Berestetska topped Laura Fernanez and Marta Stoyanova, 8-1. The UB pair of Anamaria Candanoza and Gopika Kapoor defeated Madison Cohen and Angelika Jogasuria 8-5 at No. 2.
In singles, Angelina Jogasuria downed Shah 6-3, 6-0 at No.1, Shkundina caught Podlas 7-5, 6-3 at No. 2, Pantusart bested Markovic 6-0, 6-1 at No. 3, Beresteska defeated Fernandez 6-4, 6-2 at No. 5, and Cohen took care of Candanoza 7-5, 6-2 at No. 6.
Buffalo (11-4, 2-4 MAC) earned its point at No. 4 singles, where Kapoor won 6-0, 6-1 versus Angelika Jogasuria.
Akron closes out its regular season with two road matches, traveling to Toledo on April 19 and Eastern Michigan one day later. The MAC tournament runs April 26-28 and will be hosted by Ball State in Muncie, Ind.
Zips Notebook: Akron's No. 1 doubles team of Prang Pantusart and Angelina Jogasuria is ranked 76th nationally and improved to 16-0 during the dual-match season (6-0 in MAC play) ... that pair is 17-1 overall this season ... Angelina Jogasuria won her third-straight singles contest and played at No. 1 for the first time in four matches ... she played at No. 2 singles during the previous three outings ... the Zips won for the fifth-straight time when facing the Bulls and improved their overall record in the all-time series versus UB to 12-7 ... Akron is 6-3 in true road matches this season.
Akron 6, Buffalo 1
1. (76) Prang Pantusart/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (Buffalo) 8-5
2. Anamaria Candanoza/Gopika Kapoor (Buffalo) def. Madison Cohen/Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 8-5
3. Olga Shkundina/Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Laura Fernanez/Marta Stoyanova (Buffalo) 8-1
1. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Tanvi Shah (Buffalo) 6-3, 6-0
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Miranda Podlas (Buffalo) 7-5, 6-3
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Tamara Markovic (Buffalo) 6-0, 6-1
4. Gopika Kapoor (Buffalo) def. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 6-0, 6-1
5. Ksenia Beresteska (Akron) def. Laura Fernandez (Buffalo) 6-4, 6-2
6. Madison Cohen (Akron) def. Anamaria Candanoza (Buffalo) 7-5, 6-2
Order of finish:
Doubles – 3, 2, 1
Singles – 3, 1, 4, 6, 2, 5
Akron – 16-8, 4-2 MAC
Buffalo – 11-4, 2-4 MAC