Women's Tennis Claims 5-2 Victory at Toledo
Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter and Facebook
TOLEDO, Ohio – The University of Akron women's tennis team posted a 5-2 victory over Toledo on Friday afternoon in a Mid-American Conference match.
The Zips won the doubles point with victories at No. 1 and 2, then swept the top-four singles flights to claim their third-straight win and improve to 5-2 in league play and 17-8 overall this season.
The Zips' No. 1 doubles pair of Prang Pantusart and Angelina Jogasuria, ranked No. 56 nationally, won 8-5 over Lexy Pitt and Emily Mazzola to improve their record against dual-match competition this year to 17-0. UA's Olga Shkundina and Ksenia Berestetska defeated Mackenzie Bowman and Pia Rygh 8-4 at No. 2.
Jogasuria won her fourth-consecutive singles contest, with a 6-3, 6-1 decision at No. 1 over Katelyn Nguyen. Shkundina's 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 2 versus Rygh clinched match point for UA and extended her streak of singles victories to three. Pantusart topped Chrissy Coffman 6-1, 6-2 at No. 3, while Berestetska downed Pitt 6-1, 6-1 at No. 4.
Akron has defeated Toledo (8-12, 2-5 MAC) in four-straight meetings.
The Zips conclude the regular season at Eastern Michigan on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET.
Zips Notebook: Akron improved to 7-3 on the road this year ... UA's top doubles team of Prang Pantusart and Angelina Jogasuria is 7-0 in MAC play ... Angelina Jogasuria competed at No. 1 singles for the second-consecutive contest, and improved to 4-1 this season when playing at that spot in the lineup versus conference foes ... Ksenia Berestetska has won three straight and nine of her last 10 singles matches.
Akron 5, Toledo 2
1. (56) Prang Pantusart/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Lexy Pitt/Emily Mazzola (Toledo) 8-5
2. Olga Shkundina/Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Mackenzie Bowman/Pia Rygh (Toledo) 8-4
3. Silvia Carvajal/Katelyn Nguyen (Toledo) def. Madison Cohen/Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 8-4
1. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Katelyn Nguyen (Toledo) 6-3, 6-1
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Pia Rygh (Toledo) 6-3, 6-1
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Chrissy Coffman (Toledo) 6-1, 6-2
4. Ksenia Beresteska (Akron) def. Lexy Pitt (Toledo) 6-1, 6-1
5. Emily Mazzola (Toledo) def. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 6-3, 6-3
6. Silvia Carvajal (Toledo) def. Madison Cohen (Akron) 2-6, 7-6 (5), 1-0 (7)
Order of finish:
Doubles – 3, 1, 2
Singles – 4, 1, 5, 2, 3, 6
Akron – 17-8, 5-2 MAC
Toledo – 8-12, 2-5 MAC