Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter and Facebook
View 2013 Mid-American Conference Tournament Bracket in PDF format
YPSILANTI, Mich. – The University of Akron women's tennis team closed out the regular-season with a 4-3 loss at Eastern Michigan on Saturday in a Mid-American Conference match indoors at the Chippewa Racquet Club. The Zips dropped their record to 17-9 overall and 5-3 against league competition.
It was Klara Supejova's 6-2, 4-6, 7-5 win at No. 1 singles over Angelina Jogasuria that clinched match point for Eastern Michigan (9-13, 4-4 MAC), which took a 1-0 lead after doubles and then won at No. 5 and 6 singles to go ahead 3-1 in the match scoring.
Olga Shkundina tied the score at 1-all, with her 6-1, 6-2 defeat of Nino Mebuke at No. 2 singles and Ksenia Berestetska's 6-3, 7-6 (2) win at No. 4 over Daphne Friedricks pulled the Zips to within 3-2, but then Supejova took No. 1 and provided the decisive point.
Prang Pantusart's 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 win at No. 3 singles accounted for the Zips' third point of the day.
UA's No. 1 doubles team of Pantusart and Jogasuria, ranked 56th nationally, won 8-4 at No. 1 over Mebuke and Supejova, but EMU won at the other two flights to take the first point.
The MAC tournament runs April 26-28 and will be held at Ball State's Cardinal Creek Tennis Center in Muncie, Ind. Third-seeded Akron will face sixth-seeded Buffalo in the quarterfinal round on Friday at 2 p.m. ET. UA defeated UB 6-1 in Buffalo in this year's regular-season meeting. The Zips are the two-time defending league tournament champions.
Click the link at the top of this article to download a complete MAC tournament bracket in PDF format.
Zips Notebook: Akron's No. 1 doubles team of Prang Pantusart and Angelina Jogasuria improved to 18-0 in dual-match play this season (8-0 MAC) ... that pair is 19-1 overall this year ... Olga Shkundina has won four-consecutive singles matches ... Ksenia Berestetska has won four straight and 10 of her last 11 singles matches ... Angelina Jogasuria had a four-match win streak in singles end ... UA had defeated EMU in the previous four meetings.
Eastern Michigan 4, Akron 3
1. (56) Prang Pantusart/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Nino Mebuke/Klara Supejova (EMU) 8-4
2. Ankita Bhatia/Mariya Toncheva (EMU) def. Olga Shkundina/Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) 8-4
3. Zsofia Biro/Daphne Friedricks (EMU) Madison Cohen/Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 8-1
1. Klara Supejova (EMU) def. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) 6-2, 4-6, 7-5
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Nino Mebuke (EMU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Ankita Bhatia (EMU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Ksenia Beresteska (Akron) def. Daphne Friedricks (EMU) 6-3, 7-6 (2)
5. Zsofia Biro (EMU) def. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 6-0, 6-1
6. Mariya Toncheva (EMU) def. Madison Cohen (Akron) 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish:
Doubles – 3, 1, 2
Singles – 2, 5, 6, 4, 1, 3
Akron – 17-9, 5-3 MAC
Eastern Michigan – 9-13, 4-4 MAC