Women's Tennis Downs Buffalo 4-1 in MAC Tournament Quarterfinal
Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter and Facebook
2013 MAC Tournament Central (MAC-Sports.com)
MUNCIE, Ind. – Ksenia Berestetska's straight-set win at No. 4 singles clinched a 4-1 victory for the third-seeded University of Akron women's tennis team over sixth-seeded Buffalo on Friday afternoon in the quarterfinal round of the Mid-American Conference championship at Cardinal Creek Tennis Center.
The Zips (18-9), who are the tournament's two-time defending champion, have positioned themselves in the event's semifinal round for the fourth-consecutive season and fourth time in program history. UA, which has won four of its last five matches, will face off against second-seeded Bowling Green in Saturday's semifinal at 2 p.m. ET. BGSU received a bye out of the quarterfinal round.
The tournament winner will earn the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA Championship.
Akron took an early advantage over Buffalo (13-5) by claiming the doubles point behind victories at the first and second flights, and won at No. 2, 3 and 4 singles in straight sets to earn the right to advance in the bracket.
All-MAC selections Angelina Jogasuria and Olga Shkundina joined forces at No. 1 doubles and took a 9-7 decision over Miranda Podlas and Gopika Kapoor, and all-league honoree Prang Pantusart and Angelika Jogasuria paired at No. 2 to claim the early one-point lead with an 8-6 win over Tanvi Shah and Marta Stoyanova.
Berestetska clinched match point with a 6-3, 6-0 victory over Tamara Markovic at No. 4 singles, after Shkundina got the best of Podlas 6-3, 6-4 at No. 2 and Pantusart disposed of Kapoor 6-1, 6-2 at No. 3.
The Bulls' lone point came at No. 6 singles, where Anamaria Candanoza defeated Madison Cohen, 6-0, 6-1.
At the time the match was decided, Angelina Jogasuria was down 6-7, 6-1, 1-3 versus Shah at No. 1 and Angelika Jogasuria led 7-6 (4), 2-5 at No. 5 against Laura Fernandez. Additionally, the Zips pair of Berestetska and Cohen was tied 6-all against Candanoza and Fernandez at No. 3 doubles when the early point was secured.
Zips Notebook: Akron has topped Buffalo in six-straight meetings ... included in that win streak is a victory in the quarterfinal round of the 2011 MAC tournament ... Olga Shkundina has won five-consecutive singles contests ... Ksenia Berestetska has won five straight and 11 of her last 12 singles matches ... Prang Pantusart has won six consecutive and 12 of her last 13 singles contests ... the Zips lost 4-3 to Bowling Green in the regular-season meeting between the two in Akron ... that contest was decided by a three-set, last-match-on-court decision at No. 4 singles.
(3) Akron 4, (6) Buffalo 1
1. Angelina Jogasuria/Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Miranda Podlas/Gopika Kapoor (Buffalo) 9-7
2. Prang Pantusart/Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) def. Tanvi Shah/Marta Stoyanova (Buffalo) 8-6
3. Ksenia Berestetska/Madison Cohen (Akron) vs. Anamaria Candanoza/Laura Fernandez (Buffalo) 6-6, unfinished
1. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) vs. Tanvi Shah (Buffalo) 6-7 (6-8), 6-1, 1-3, unfinished
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Miranda Podlas (Buffalo) 6-3, 6-4
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Gopika Kapoor (Buffalo) 6-1, 6-3
4. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Tamara Markovic (Buffalo) 6-3, 6-0
5. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) vs. Laura Fernandez (Buffalo) 7-6 (4), 2-5, unfinished
6. Anamaria Candanoza (Buffalo) def. Madison Cohen (Akron) 6-0, 6-1
Akron – 18-9
Buffalo – 13-5