Women's Tennis Falls to Bowling Green in MAC Semifinal, 4-2
Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter and Facebook
2013 MAC Tournament Central (MAC-Sports.com)
MUNCIE, Ind. – The third-seeded University of Akron women's tennis team was edged 4-2 by second-seeded Bowling Green on Saturday in the semifinal round of the Mid-American Conference tournament at Cardinal Creek Tennis Center.
After giving up the doubles point with losses at the second and third flights, Akron tied the contest at 1-all and 2-all, and pushed play on two singles courts to a third set in a match that lasted four hours and 10 minutes.
It was Katie Brozovich's 7-5, 4-6, 6-2 victory at No. 4 singles over Ksenia Berestetska that clinched match point for Bowling Green (17-4), after Katie Grubb gave the Falcons a 3-2 advantage thanks to her 7-6 (3-0), 6-3 win at No. 5 over Angelika Jogasuria.
Prang Pantusart put the Zips on the board with a 6-1, 6-1 decision at No. 3 over Maddy Eccleston, then the Falcons jumped ahead 2-1 in the team scoring as Mary Hill got the best of Madison Cohen 6-3, 7-5 at No. 6.
Olga Shkundina's 6-4, 6-2 win versus Emily Reuland at No. 2 knotted it at 2-all, but Grubb and Brozovich posted their wins and prevented UA from returning to the title match for a third-straight year.
Doubles was closely contested. Pantusart and Angelika Jogasuria lost 8-6 at No. 2 to Grubb and Eccleston, while Berestetska and Cohen fell 8-6 at No. 3 to Hill and Jade Johnson. The UA duo of Shkundina and Angelina Jogasuria led 6-5 at No. 1 when the doubles point was clinched.
At the time the match was decided, Angelina Jogasuria was down 7-5, 5-7, 5-3 at No. 1 singles.
The Zips close the season with an 18-10 record and advanced to the league tournament's semifinal round for the fourth-straight season and fourth time in program history. Akron was the two-time defending conference tournament champion.
Bowling Green will take on top-seeded Miami (Ohio) in Sunday's title match at noon ET. Miami topped fourth-seeded Ball State 4-0 in Saturday's first semifinal.
Zips Notebook: UA suffered a 4-3 loss to Bowling Green at home during the regular season ... Olga Shkundina won her sixth-consecutive singles match ... Prang Pantusart ran her singles win streak to seven contests, and has won 13 of her last 14 overall singles matches ... Ksenia Berestetska had her five-match singles win streak end.
(2) Bowling Green 4, (3) Akron 2
1. Emily Reuland/Nikki Chiricosta (BGSU) vs. Angelina Jogasuria/Olga Shkundina (Akron) 5-6, unfinished
2. Katie Grubb/Maddy Eccleston (BGSU) def. Prang Pantusart/Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 8-6
3. Jade Johnson/Mary Hill (BGSU) def. Ksenia Berestetska/Madison Cohen (Akron) 8-6
1. Nikki Chiricosta (BGSU) vs. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) 7-5, 5-7, 5-3, unfinished
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Emily Reuland (BGSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Maddy Eccleston (BGSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Katie Brozovich (BGSU) def. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
5. Katie Grubb (BGSU) def. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 7-6 (3-0), 6-3
6. Mary Hill (BGSU) def. Madison Cohen (Akron) 6-3, 7-5
Order of finish:
Doubles – 3, 2
Singles – 3, 6, 2, 5, 4
Akron – 18-10
Bowling Green – 17-4