Women's Tennis Falls 6-1 at Penn
Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter and Facebook
PHILADELPHIA – The University of Akron women's tennis team suffered its first loss of the dual-match season on Friday, falling 6-1 to Penn inside Levy Pavilion.
With several players battling injury, the Zips (6-1) gave up the early doubles point, with losses at the first and second flights, then dropped points at Nos. 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 singles.
"This is a really tough loss for this group to take," fourth-year Akron head coach Brandon Padgett said. "They fought hard, but our substantial injuries simply kept us from being in the right position to win, in the end. I am proud of the effort and fight that they showed."
UA's lone point over the Quakers (1-2) came at No. 3 singles, where Karolina Maksimava topped Sonya Latycheva, 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (4). Additionally, Zips freshman Shannon Newnes pushed her match at No. 5 singles versus Stephanie Do to three sets, before losing 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (7).
"In all my years of coaching, I have never seen a situation quite like the one we are facing, Padgett said. "Having two out of eight players healthy is not something I would ever expect. I hope that we are able to get healthy quickly."
Akron competes against St. Joseph's on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET.
Zips Notebook: The Zips and Quakers were meeting for the first time in dual-match play ... today's contest was the start of a five-match road swing for Akron ... Ksenia Berestetska suffered her first singles loss of the season, dropping her record to 6-1 ... Olga Shkundina lost her first doubles match of the year, making her 5-1.
Penn 6, Akron 1
1. Sol Eskenazi/Kana Daniel (Penn) def. Olga Shkundina/Ksenia Berestetska (UA) 6-1
2. Jaime Yapp-Shing/Sonya Latycheva (Penn) def. Shannon Newnes/Caroline Harpaintner (UA) 6-2
3. Martina Zerbola/Madison Cohen (UA) vs. Stephanie Do/Alex Ion (Penn) 4-3 DNF
1. Sol Eskenazi (Penn) def. Martina Zerbola (UA) 6-2, 6-1
2. Kana Daniel (Penn) def. Madison Cohen (UA) 6-2, 6-0
3. Karolina Maksimava (Akron) def. Sonya Latycheva (Penn) 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (4)
4. Jaime Yapp-Shing (Penn) def. Ksenia Berestetska (UA) 6-3, 6-3
5. Stephanie Do (Penn) def. Shannon Newnes (UA) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (7)
6. Alex Ion (Penn) def. Marta Briega (UA) 6-2, 6-0
Akron – 6-1
Penn – 1-2