Women's Tennis Rebounds with 6-1 Win at St. Joseph's
Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter and Facebook
PHILADELPHIA – The University of Akron women's tennis team closed out a weekend road trip with a 6-1 win over St. Joseph's on Saturday at Springton Indoor Tennis Center.
About 24 hours removed from a 6-1 loss to Penn, a match in which several of their players were slowed due to injury, it was a different story today for the Zips (7-1) who had no trouble downing the Hawks (0-2).
UA went ahead by claiming the doubles point with wins at the Nos. 1 and 2 positions, then secured straight-set victories at the first five singles flights.
"The team fought hard and I am proud of the overall effort," Akron head coach Brandon Padgett said. "We need to get some rest and heal some wounds, so we can be ready for the next portion of the season."
In doubles, Olga Shkundina and Shannon Newnes defeated Aurora Davis and Alex Zachem 6-1 at No. 1, while Martina Zerbola and Ksenia Berestetska topped Kristina Eisenbrand and Lauren Roy 6-4 at No. 2.
After sitting out yesterday because of injury, Skkundina downed Davis 6-3, 6-1 at No. 1 singles. Karolina Maksimava, who accounted for UA's lone point yesterday at No. 3 singles, bested Eisenbrand 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 2 spot today.
Also in singles, it was Zerbola over Devi Jadeja 6-3, 6-3 at No. 3, Berestetska versus Kelly Mulquin 6-1, 6-0 at No. 4, and Newnes against Zachem 6-1, 6-2 at No. 5.
Arianne Polatnick defeated Caroline Harpaintner 7-5, 7-5 at No. 6 to thwart the Akron shutout.
The Zips travel to Youngstown State on Feb. 15.
Zips Notebook: UA is 6-1 on the road this season ... this is Akron's third 6-1 win of the year ... the Zips and Hawks were facing one another for the first time in dual-match competition ... UA won the doubles point for the seventh time in eight outings this year ... Olga Shkundina improved to 6-0 in singles play this season, all at No. 1 ... Ksenia Berestetska improved to 7-1 in singles, including a 5-1 mark when playing at No. 4 ... Karolina Maksimava is 2-0 this season when playing at No. 2 singles.
Akron 6, St. Joseph's 1
1. Olga Shkundina/Shannon Newnes (UA) def. Aurora Davis/Alex Zachem (SJU) 6-1
2. Martina Zerbola/Ksenia Berestetska (UA) Kristina Eisenbrand/Lauren Roy (SJU) 6-4
3. Devi Jadeja/Kelly Mulquin (SJU) vs. Caroline Harpaintner/Karolina Maksimava (UA) DNF
1. Olga Shkundina (UA) def. Aurora Davis (SJU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Karolina Maksimava (UA) def. Kristina Eisenbrand (SJU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Martina Zerbola (UA) def. Devi Jadeja (SJU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Ksenia Berestetska (UA) def. Kelly Mulquin (SJU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Shanon Newnes (UA) def. Alex Zachem (SJU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Arianne Polatnick (SJU) def. Caroline Harpaintner (UA) 7-5, 7-5
Akron – 7-1
St. Joseph's – 0-2