Women's Tennis Rallies in Singles to Claim 5-2 Win at Portland State
Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter and Facebook
VANCOUVER, Wash. – A rally on the singles courts lifted the Akron women's tennis team to a 5-2 victory over Portland State on Friday at Club Green Meadows.
After falling behind early with a loss of the doubles point, the Zips won in order at Nos. 5, 2, 4 and 1 singles to clinch match point and improve their record to 8-2 in dual competition this season.
The UA comeback began with a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 5 by Ksenia Berestetska over Ayaka Terakawa. Next Olga Shkundina made short work of Marina Todd 6-1, 6-2 at No. 2, followed by another easy straight-sets win at No. 4 where Shannon Newnes downed Megan Govi 6-2, 6-2. Karolina Maksimava's 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 victory at No. 1 over Dane Vorster secured match point.
The Zips' fifth point of the day came courtesy of a 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (8) win by Caroline Harpaintner over Alexa McDonald at No. 6. PSU earned its second point at No. 3 where Sabina-Elena Preda got the best of Martina Zerbola, 1-6, 6-3, 7-6 (5).
Preda and Todd won 8-6 versus Zerbola and Berestetska at No. 2 doubles, while McDonald and Terakawa topped Maksimava and Harpaintner 8-7 (2) at No. 3 to give Portland State (1-3) an early 1-0 lead in the overall match scoring. Shkundina and Newnes won 8-2 at No. 1 against Vorster and Govi.
"Doubles once again was rough for us today, but the team rebounded well in singles," fourth-year Akron head coach Brandon Padgett said. "We continue to see a consistent level of fight from everyone, which is exactly what we ask for."
UA visits Pac-12 opponent Oregon tomorrow at 7 p.m. ET.
Zips Notebook: Today marked Akron's fourth match in a five-match road swing ... the Zips are 7-2 in away contests this season ... UA and PSU were facing one another for the first time ... senior Ksenia Berestetska improved to 9-1 in singles play this year ... UA's No. 1 doubles pair of junior Olga Shkundina and freshman Shannon Newnes is now 5-1.
Akron 5, Portland State 2
1. Olga Shkundina/Shannon Newnes (UA) def. Dane Vorster/Megan Govi (PSU) 8-2
2. Sabina-Elena Preda/Marina Todd (PSU) def. Martina Zerbola/Ksenia Berestetska (UA) 8-6
3. Alexa McDonald/Ayaka Terakawa (PSU) def. Karolina Maksimava/Caroline Harpaintner (UA) 8-7 (2)
1. Karolina Maksimava (UA) def. Dane Vorster (PSU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. Olga Shkundina (UA) def. Marina Todd (PSU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Sabina-Elena Preda (PSU) def. Martina Zerbola (UA) 1-6, 6-3, 7-6 (5)
4. Shannon Newnes (UA) def. Megan Govi (PSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Ksenia Berestetska (UA) def. Ayaka Terakawa (PSU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Caroline Harpaintner (UA) def. Alexa McDonald (PSU) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (8)
Order of finish:
Doubles – 1, 3, 2
Singles – 5, 2, 4, 1, 6, 3
Akron – 8-2
Portland State – 1-3