Women's Tennis Falls at Oregon, 6-1
Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter and Facebook
EUGENE, Ore. – The Akron women's tennis team closed out a weekend trip to the Pacific Northwest and a five-match road swing with a 6-1 loss to Oregon on Saturday at Student Tennis Center.
The Ducks (5-4) won two of three doubles contests to take a 1-0 lead, then claimed victories at Nos. 1-4 and 6 singles.
The Zips (8-3) earned their lone point by way of a 6-2, 6-3 win from Ksenia Berestetska over Lana Buttner at No. 5 singles. UA's Olga Shkundina, who has battled injury the last several weeks, retired during the second set of her contest at No. 2 singles. Jasmine Minor topped Shkundina 6-4 in the first set and was ahead 1-0 when she withdrew.
"We knew today was going to be a very difficult match, especially under our current physical circumstances," Zips' head coach Brandon Padgett said. "They fought hard and played well in spots, and we hope to be healthy and ready to play when Duquesne and Butler come to town."
Akron plays host to Duquesne and Butler in a doubleheader on Saturday, March 8. Those matches will begin at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. ET, respectively, at LaTuchie Tennis Center in nearby Stow (driving directions).
Zips Notebook: Oregon evened the all-time series record with Akron at 1-all ... the Zips downed the Ducks, who were ranked 69th nationally, 4-3 in Akron on Feb. 17, 2013 ... senior Ksenia Berestetska improved her singles mark this season to 10-1 ... the Zips dropped to 7-3 on the road this year.
Akron 6, Oregon 1
1. Nicole Long/Jasmine Minor (ORE) vs. Olga Shkundina/Shannon Newnes (UA) 6-4, DNF
2. Lina Akesson/Marlou Kluiving (ORE) def. Martina Zerbola/Karolina Maksimava (UA) 8-2
3. Lana Buttner/Sofia Hager (ORE) def. Ksenia Berestetska/Caroline Harpaintner (UA) 8-0
1. Nicole Long (ORE) def. Karolina Maksimava (UA) 6-2, 6-0
2. Jasmine Minor (ORE) def. Olga Shkundina (UA) 6-4, 1-0, ret. inj.
3. Sofia Hager (ORE) def. Shannon Newnes (UA) 6-3, 6-2
4. Marlou Kluiving (ORE) def. Martina Zerbola (UA) 6-1, 6-1
5. Ksenia Berestetska (UA) def. Lana Buttner (ORE) 6-2, 6-3
6. Allie Hueffner (ORE) def. Caroline Harpaintner (UA) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish:
Doubles – 3, 2, DNF
Singles – 2, 4, 1, 6, 5, 3
Akron – 8-3
Oregon – 5-4