Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter and Facebook
Head Coach Brandon Padgett Post-Match Video and Highlights
AKRON, Ohio – The University of Akron women's tennis team started its weekend homestand with a 6-1 loss to Ball State in Mid-American Conference action on Friday afternoon indoors at LaTuchie Tennis Center.
Ksenia Berestetska's 7-5, 6-4 win at No. 3 singles prevented the Ball State (12-7, 2-1 MAC) shutout and extended her win streak in singles play to four matches.
Due to injuries, Akron (10-11, 0-4 MAC) was unable to fill its lineup with a No. 3 doubles team or a player at No. 6 singles and gave up those positions by default. Ball State swept doubles play and claimed Nos. 1, 2, 4 and 5 singles in straight sets.
Courtney Wild's 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 1 singles over Olga Shkundina clinched match point for the Cardinals.
The Zips face Miami (Ohio) on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET at LaTuchie Tennis Center (driving directions).
Zips Notebook: UA senior Ksenia Berestetska boasts a dual-match singles record of 17-2 overall and 3-1 versus MAC opponents. She has won four-straight and nine of her last 10 singles contests ... the Zips had won the previous five meetings with Ball State, including a 4-3 win last season in Muncie, Ind.
Ball State 6, Akron 1
1. Courtney Earnest/Bethany Moore (BSU) def. Olga Shkundina/Ksenia Berestetska (UA) 8-5
2. Toni Ormond/Kristel Sanders (BSU) def. Martina Zerbola/Caroline Harpaintner (UA) 8-3
3. Courtney Wild/Ayaka Terashi (BSU) won by default
1. Courtney Wild (BSU) def. Olga Shkundina (UA) 6-2, 6-4
2. Courtney Earnest (BSU) def. Martina Zerbola (UA) 6-2, 6-3
3. Ksenia Berestetska (UA) def. Kristel Sanders (BSU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Bethany Moore (BSU) def. Caroline Harpaintner (UA) 7-5, 6-3
5. Ashlyn Rang (BSU) def. Marta Briega (UA) 6-1, 6-0
6. Ayaka Terashi (BSU) won by default
Order of finish:
Doubles – 3, 2, 1
Singles – 6, 5, 1, 2, 4, 3
Akron – 10-11, 0-4 MAC
Ball State – 12-7, 2-1 MAC