Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter and Facebook
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio – The University of Akron women's tennis team started off a two-match weekend road trip with a 6-1 loss to Bowling Green in a Mid-American Conference contest on Friday afternoon outdoors at Keefe Courts.
Ksenia Berestetska's 6-2, 6-2 win over Hannah Drayton at No. 4 singles held off a potential Bowling Green (9-6, 3-2 MAC) shutout. The Akron (10-13, 0-6 MAC) senior has won five of her last six singles matches and is 4-2 on the singles court in league play this season.
The Falcons swept all three flights of doubles and won in straight sets at Nos. 1-3 and 6 singles.
At No. 2 singles, UA sophomore Martina Zerbola retired due to illness during the second set. She lost the first set 6-1 to Katie Brozovich and was behind 4-2 in the second when she withdrew.
Zips freshman Caroline Harpaintner pushed her match at No. 5 singles to a third set. After losing the first 6-2 to Drew Fillis, she took the second 7-6 (2) and then lost 1-0 (7) in a third-set tiebreaker after match point had already been clinched by BGSU.
"This was another tough loss for this group," Akron head coach Brandon Padgett said. "I'm proud of the effort, especially from Martina (Zerbola), being that she is extremely sick. We will continue to fight in each and every match, no matter the odds."
Akron travels to Western Michigan on Saturday for a 1 p.m. ET contest.
Bowling Green 6, Akron 1
1. Emily Reuland/Drew Fillis (BGSU) def. Olga Shkundina/Ksenia Berestetska (UA) 8-0
2. Nikki Chiricosta/Katie Brozovich (BGSU) def. Martina Zerbola/Karolina Maksimava (UA) 8-5
3. Harley Hutchison/Hannah Drayton (BGSU) def. Caroline Harpaintner/Marta Briega (UA) 8-1
1. Nikki Chiricosta (BGSU) def. Olga Shkundina (UA) 6-2, 6-1
2. Emily Reuland (BGSU) def. Karolina Maksimava (UA) 6-0, 6-2
3. Katie Brozovich (BGSU) def. Martina Zerbola (UA) 6-1, 4-2 ret.
4. Ksenia Berestetska (UA) def. Hannah Drayton (BGSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Drew Fillis (BGSU) def. Caroline Harpaintner (UA) 6-2, 6-7 (2), 1-0 (7)
6. Harley Hutchison (BGSU) def. Marta Briega (UA) 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish:
Doubles – 1, 3, 2
Singles – 6, 1, 4, 2, 3, 5
Akron – 10-13, 0-6 MAC
Bowling Green – 9-6, 3-2 MAC