Women's Tennis Closes Season with 6-1 Loss to Buffalo
Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter and Facebook
AKRON, Ohio – The University of Akron women's tennis team closed out the regular season with a 6-1 loss to Buffalo on Saturday afternoon outdoors at Springside Racquet Club. The Mid-American Conference match also was Senior Day for the Zips and Ksenia Berestetska was honored prior to her final home contest.
It was Berestetska's 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 4 singles over Margarita Kotok that provided Akron's lone point, as she closed out the dual-match schedule with a 20-3 singles record and 6-2 mark against MAC opponents. Berestetska finished her collegiate career with 118 combined singles and doubles victories, which ranks 14th all-time in program history.
Buffalo (14-5, 5-3 MAC) swept doubles play and then was victorious in straight sets at three of the five singles flights it won.
At No. 2 singles, UA's Karolina Maksimava forced a third-set tiebreaker against Miranda Podlas. Podlas claimed the first set 6-2, Maksimava the second 7-5 and then Podlas took the third, 10-3.
At No. 1 singles, Zip Olga Shkundina retired due to injury when down 5-0 in the second set after winning the first 6-2 versus Tanvi Shah. Shkundina has battled injuries for much of the dual-match season.
"I am proud of the effort that this team exhibited during such a difficult season, and I am most proud of our lone senior, Ksenia (Berestetska), for fighting through and having another outstanding season as a Zip," UA head coach Brandon Padgett said. "We will miss her greatly, but I know that she has a bright future ahead of her, and I am excited to see what the next chapter in her life has in store for her."
Akron ends the season 10-15 overall and 0-8 against the MAC.
Buffalo 6, Akron 1
1. Tanvi Shah/Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Martina Zerbola/Karolina Maksimava (UA) 8-4
2. Miranda Podlas/Margarita Kotok (UB) def. Olga Shkundina/Ksenia Berestetska (UA) 8-5
3. Anamaria Candanoza/Laura Holterbosch (UB) def. Caroline Harpaintner/Marta Briega (UA) 8-3
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Olga Shkundina (UA) 2-6, 5-0, ret.
2. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Karolina Maksimava (UA) 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (3)
3. Laura Fernandez (UB) def. Martina Zerbola (UA) 6-2, 7-5
4. Ksenia Berestetska (UA) def. Margarita Kotok (UB) 6-1, 6-3
5. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Caroline Harpaintner (UA) 6-2, 6-2
6. Laura Holterbosch (UB) def. Marta Briega (UA) 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish:
Doubles – 3, 1, 2
Singles – 1, 6, 4, 5, 3, 2
Akron – 10-15, 0-8 MAC
Buffalo – 14-5, 5-3 MAC